Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:19 PM   #1

Ok, I have a question about resizing for the web.

With alot of editing software (the free ones anyway), when a photo is resized, it loses some of it's quality, especially the sharpness.

I am very opposed to editing my shots in any way unless I feel it is really necessary, for example a portrait shot taken in landscape position.

I wonder what you guys use for resizing in order to maintain the sharpness and overall quality of the original shot?

Some softwares have the option to "save for web" which is what I am looking for as mine (Irfanview) doesn't have that option and I believe that saving for web option helps with maintaining the original quality.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:28 PM   #2

If you are using Windows ... consider Power Toys. You can download for free from Microsoft and once it is installed you simply right-click on the photo, click resizepicture, andselect from one of three sizes. I've just started to use it and it works just fine. See this earlier thread as well:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=93396&forum_id=80

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:28 PM   #3

If you are using Windows ... consider Power Toys. You can download for free from Microsoft and once it is installed you simply right-click on the photo, click resizepicture, andselect from one of three sizes. I've just started to use it and it works just fine. See this earlier thread as well:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=93396&forum_id=80

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:34 PM   #4

What I do is leave any Un Sharp Mask (USM) processing until after I resize the image.

Then I apply the amount of USM I consider needed for the size of the new image. This will vary depending on the new size.

Phil

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:45 PM   #5
Administrator

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
I wonder what you guys use for resizing in order to maintain the sharpness and overall quality of the original shot?
More often than not, I'll use Irfanview for resizing. Even though it's not necessary for downsizing, I typically use the Lanczos algorithm to upsize or downsize an image, since it's a pretty decent algorithm for going either direction.

Quote:
Some softwares have the option to "save for web" which is what I am looking for as mine (Irfanview) doesn't have that option and I believe that saving for web option helps with maintaining the original quality.
Actually, what "save for web" is doing in Photoshop is stripping out the original EXIF and IPTC data to make the file size smaller. ;-) It really doesn't have anything to do with sharpness.

If you want to strip it out, you'll see check boxes to do so when you use the Save As option in Irfanview. I usually leave the EXIF and IPTC data in images, so that others can see camera settings.

Keep an eye on the Quality Slider in the box that pops up when you use the Save As option in Irfanview when saving JPEG images. Higher Quality = Larger File Sizes = Lower Compression

As for sharpness, it's not uncommon to need to sharpen images a little after resizing. I usually don't. But, many people do. After you use resize/resample with Irfanview, look under Image, Effects, Effects Browser and you'll see a Sharpen Choice. If you use the option under Effects Browser, you can vary the sharpness with a preview box. The Sharpen Menu choice doesn't give you that option (it will use the last setting selected from Effects Browser). I usually don't go above a setting of around 7 when sharpening with Irfanview.

You can also resize in batch mode using Irfanview, if you have a lot of images that need resizing, versus resizing them one at a time.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip about Irfanview, I had no idea there was a way to control the amount of sharpness! lol! You learn something new every day eh.

I will also have a look at powertools, see what's what and probably download it and give it a go.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:57 PM   #7

I second Jim's comments on Irfanview. I have found it to be all that I need for cropping, resizing and final sharpening, then saving to a jpg. Jim is correct, Irfanview comes with a sharpening of 20 as the default. This is way to aggressive and you will find that between 5 and 10 is much more pleasing to the eye. I quit using my PSP8, because Iwas gettingmore pleasing results with Irfanviews no frills approach.

For those that have not tried this little program, do so. If you need a reason to try, Its free. It works really well in conjunction with a raw converter like RSE or Silkypix. Just save as aTIFF, then use Irfanview to crop, resize and sharpen. You can then delete the TIFF when your done- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:20 AM   #8

Normally re-sizing downwards should be ok with almost any tool, even Microsoft photo-editor. I prefer to use integer pixel ratios (2:1, 4:1 etc)to avoid interpolation artefacts, and not mess around with the colour saturation or sharpness settingsetc.

Setting 50% re-sizing gives a quarter the number of pixels, 25% gives one sixteenth the pixels etc. with no noticeable artefacts.

Unfortunately there is no way to avoid loosing sharpness/resolution (less pixels => less sharpness), but some "tweaking" on the small file could give the illusion of restoring resolution.
soundbyer is offline   Reply With Quote