Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:53 AM   #1

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to use two of the sigma macro lenses the 105mm F2.8 EX DG or the 180mm F3.5. I like the look of the 180mm but none of the camera shops round here have one and i am trying to justify the price tag without actually testing it.
BluTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2

welcome to the board BT
all macros from sigma 105,150,180 are as sharp as any manufacturer's lenses. you can not go wrong. no personable use but i've seen the images to prove it.. the longer the lens is , the more working distance you have at 1:1..

roy
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:13 AM   #3

Thanks Roy

I wil let ya know on what I decide and will be sure to post some pics

Al
BluTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:08 PM   #4

BluTongue,

I have the 105mm 2.8 EX DG lens and it is GREAT! Extremely sharp, pleasing bokeh, a nice feature that lets you disengage the focus ring during AF and a focus limiter - it limits the focus "search" when you are in close.

It is a bit noisy, but I can live with that , at this price point and quality.

I also love the finish - it doesn't show fingerprints or dirt and is easy to keep clean. One other thing - throw away the well made, metal, screw-in lens hood. The actual lens is mounted 1.5"-2.0" from the end of the barrel - just add your favorite filter and forget about it!

I purchased my 105mm for ~$400 and have been well pleased ever since.

Hope this helps you,

Steve
steve_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:28 PM   #5

al, there are many macros out there.. i just got the vivitar 105mm f2.5 for 140usd. it's as good or better than the recent OEM macro lenses. do your research is the best advise. all macro lenses from pentax, tokina, sigma, tamron are great lenses.. i would not buy the newer vivitar..

roy

BluTongue wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roy

I wil let ya know on what I decide and will be sure to post some pics

Al