Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:57 AM   #11

Covairfan, if you use the camera to download your pictures to your PC as opposed to plugging in your SD card this will decrease your battery life. Observe the battery indicator while unloading your files and watch how the charge decreases. Personally, I like using the SanDisk SD Ultra II Plus... you don't require a card reader, just plug it in. I get over 250 shots using the Kodak 2500 mAh NiHd...75% flash and it still show a 50% charge left. Just MHO:-)
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:43 AM   #12

I have a *ist DL that now will not turn on. I turned it on this morning and the battery light just flashed. I thought my rechargables were spent so I threw them in the charger. I then put some fresh alkalines in with the same result of just a flashing battery meter. I have tried another memory card and no memory card at all with same results. Any other thoughts?
JohnnyRoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:21 PM   #13

Johnny - I had a similiar problem with mine the first time I tried to use it, although it was below freezing at the time. The Ni-MH would not fire it up. I had bought some lithiums for backups and put them in and it worked fine and I took 700 pictures with these batteries. I'm not saying this is what you have, but it might be worth a try. Lithiums do have a little higher voltage then many rechargables - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 12:35 PM   #14

This is weird. I charged my NI-MH 2000 mAh batteries for a couple of hours and the camera works now. However, when I put brand new Duracell alkalines in the camera will not power on. I know that the alkalines are only for emergencies, but it seems they should still work. I am concerned this may be leading to a bigger problem.

On a side note, I am not sure if my camera is taking photos in the correct apsect ratio. On the lcd, I have a band at the top and bottom. When I display the photos on a standard 4/3 tv, I also have a black bar on the top and bottom. I am not sure if this is normal. I think I may head up to a local retailer and check out another DL for comparison.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 2:54 PM   #15

If your card is not present, the camera will come on monentarily and flash the battery iconand turn itself off. Using the self contained power supply (batteries) to display on a TV or view and edit fileswith the camera connected via usb your PC will also deplete the batteries faster. Pentax suggests that an AC converter or external battery supply be usedif the camera is going be used for these purposes, it will conserve your internal batteries for picture taking. I was told the number ofminutes stated for display, referred to the camera's LCD display. I do not know if this is fact or not:?
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:34 PM   #16

My DL works without a memory card inserted. The DL2 may be different. It gives a message that says "No Card in camera" but then will go into a normal shoot mode when you hit the shutter button. The shutter will not actuate when you try to take a picture.

I tried switching alkalines in my camera to Energizers and it works fine. Is it possible that there is that much of a difference between brands?

I have a card reader in my PC, so I never download via usb. I think you can pick up a card reader for cheaper than the Pentax power supply.

Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:47 PM   #17

I also have a DL and :?:whack:I stand corrected on thecamera not coming on... appparentlyeach time this happened to me it was because my card door was notclosed:whack: By the way have you seen the SanDisk SD Ultra II Plus card? You don't need a reader... just fold it over and plug in a high speed USB port Picked up one at TigerDirect.com 500 meg 37.95 plus shipping.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:01 AM   #18

JohnnyRoaster wrote:
Quote:
On a side note, I am not sure if my camera is taking photos in the correct apsect ratio. On the lcd, I have a band at the top and bottom. When I display the photos on a standard 4/3 tv, I also have a black bar on the top and bottom. I am not sure if this is normal. I think I may head up to a local retailer and check out another DL for comparison.
Unlike most point and shoot digital camreas, the Pentax *ist D series and a few other DSLR camera's APS size sensor are taking pictures in 3X2 aspect ratio, which is narrower (from top to bottom) than 4X3 TV and the LCD screen, so a small black band on top and bottom is normal. On the other hand, if you take your pictures to make 4X6 prints from a photo lab, they are perfect fit, you do't need to crop the size of your files.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:45 PM   #19

Thanks for the explanation. It did surprise me when the files were not the same aspect ratio as my little Optio S4i. Glad to know that is normal.

@ Snoopy2- I will have to check out that Sandisk card. I would imagine I could just plug it right into my iPod photo adapter and not even have to carry my USB cable for my camera. Very cool!

To anybody with a D series Pentax that has some free time, I would appreciate if they could check to see if Duracell AA batteries works in their camera.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:01 PM   #20

JohnnyRoaster... the new SanDisk card merely folds in half exposing USB contacts that plug directly into any USB port. If your I-Pod has a standard USB port, same as a PC, then it will work. One end of the card is for your camera... I-Pod.... MP3 player or whatever and the other end after folding in half is for a USB port.