Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

Ok, am having a bit of trouble with my camera and would like some advice please.

On two occasions now, the camera has frozen up on me when I've pressed the playback button and the eggtimer symbol stays on the screen. I can get rid of it by turning the camera off but it does it again when I try. So, I turn the camera off again, then on. Same thing, I then turn off and remove batteries, replace them, turn on and same thing. I then turn off the camera but the number of available exposures is still displayed, still, I can't play back any images.

This is just part of the problem. I have also had the display show low battery and then full battery within a few seconds and even depleted battery when they have not been depleted.

When the playback function doesn't work, neither does any other part of the camera.

Eventually today, I turned the program control button and that corrected the problem.

I went back to Jessops and was told that at the end of the day, the camera is actually a computer and computers do do things like that, it's just one of those things. However, they did offer to exchange the body or refund my money or even let me change for a different camera altogether.

I was so undecided what to do that I came away with the existing body. I am going to hopefully go out again tomorrow and see if it behaves.

Now, firstly, I would like to know what other people think of the "it's one of those things that does happen from time to time" comment and has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, what was the outcome?

Secondly, if the camera does this again, not sure what to do about exchanging. Jessops are good in that the first 28 days of purchase, you can take the product back for exchange or refund if not satisfied and I am in the last couple of days of that period. If I need to go back and exchange it, would I be better off getting a refund and then making a fresh purchase of the same camera as I don't want the same thing to happen and end up with it needing to be sent to Pentax for repair as that will take weeks and leave me with no camera at all for a while.

I will ask them if they will extend my 28 days for another 28 but they may not want to do that, in which case a refund would be the best option and start again.

However, this is all hassle I really don't want or need and if I am making a fuss about something that does sometimes happen with digital cameras then I don't want to exchange etc unnecessarily.

When I had my z5 and z1 prior to that, not once did either of those cameras freeze on me, however, that's not to say that means anything I guess.

Help, what would you do? Does this problem sound normal to you? Bear in mind, this has only happened twice and both times about a week apart, possibly a little more than a week.

Possible factors could be batteries, hot day, so when answering, if this has happened to anyone, it would be helpful to know the conditions at teh time and if the batteries were getting low.

Hope all this is making sense and that someone will be able to enlighten me and help me make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

Alison - I don't think I would bite on this as a normal thing that happens. Everyone has different ideas and like you say, if you play around very long you will be in for a headache. Here is what I would do and maybe someone has a better idea. To eliminate the possibility of batteries, I would either buy a fresh set of alkalines or a set of energizerlithiums, if you can find them and want to spend the money. The alkalines would at least work fine for 20 or 30 shots and prove whether it's a battery problem or camera problem and these would be readily available and cheap. The lithiums will last you 700 - 1000 shots. If the camera acts up while these show a full battery indicator on the LCD, then I would take the camera back and either get my money back or a new camera while you still can. Good luck and let us knowhow it turns out - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

Reformat your memory card and see if that improves function... personally I would take them up on their to exchange the body and start all over.
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:03 PM   #4

I use rechargeables all the time, with the four that are in the camera, I have taken just over forty shots so I guess it's possible the batteries are low, though it is showing them as full in the lcd display.

Will try the camera out with fresh batteries tomorrow, take as many shots as I possibly can, even if they are of nothing at all and it it takes forty shots and starts acting up, will do the same with another set of batteries, if the same thing occurs, then I think I can safely assume it's the bstteries getting low causing the problem.

Alison
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:03 PM   #5

snoopy2 wrote:
Quote:
Reformat your memory card and see if that improves function.
Alreday did that! lol!

Alison
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:04 PM   #6

If it does the same thing tomorrow, I'd exchange it. My camera has never done that, though I did have an initial problem with the card reader on my computer reading the card that came with the camera. I had bought a couple of 1 GB Sandisk SD cards for my previous camera, so I haven't used it since. The first time I tried a back-up set of batteries I took 3 shots and the camera said they were dead. Recharged them and all was well.

Don't take "this is normal" for an answer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:52 PM   #7

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
I have also had the display show low battery and then full battery within a few seconds and even depleted battery when they have not been depleted.

Alison

Alison, I have similar unreliable battery indicatorproblem with my DL2. What I found is it depend on the brand of rechargable battery that you use. Iuses a few different brands of NiMH recharables.MyEnergizer and Panasonic ones definitely give erratic battery indications. I had situation that the camera said the batterieswere depleted and shut down, all I needed to do wasswitch the power button of the DL2 to "Off" and back to "On" and camera came back to life worked for more than a hundred pictures afterward. So now, I just learn to ignor the battery indicatorand keep using the batteries until they are really "depleted".

As for the froze up part, doesn't sound good to me. If it is me, I will exchange the body while I still can. Hope this help.

-BE
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:45 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I decided to go back to Jessops today and they changed the body for me. I asked for a further 28 days for return or refund under the circumstances and they said yes so fingers crossed, I won't need that.

Took it out for a test drive today, was out for three hours with it in the hot sunshine, using the exact same batteries from the other body. No hiccups at all so far. Hopefully this is a sign that things will be ok from now on.

Will post some pics later from my trip out today.

Alison
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:06 AM   #9

Alison

You did the right thing. Intermittent faults are a pain to diagnose, if they are willing to exchange then take it.

The "program dial" might have been in between settings and giving the internal electronics erroneous information. "But if in doubt, change it out"

I have heard of battery readings being all over the place and it has been the batteries and not the camera.

Sometimes if you do a lot of flash shots or continuous shots the battery reading will drop as you have put the batteries under load.

They settle down after a short while and usually show a higher charge. One thing about the Pentax digiatals is you get a lot of shots on a set of batteries.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:01 AM   #10

I just received a DL. I too noticed some erratic behavior with the battery indicator.

While I didn't have a card my first day I used the Panasonic alkalines that came with it and fired off tons of shots to get used to the camera. The alkalines went pretty fast but I bet it was easily 80 shots with lots of flash and screen time. But it did show dead battery, low then full after maybe 30 shots.

Interestingly enough on my cheap battery tester it still showed good when the camera would no longer turn on.

But yesterday I put in fresh 2300ma Powerex's and shot about 80 shots and by that time the battery guage showed the half depleted symbol. That was with maybe 3 flashes, intermittent lcd and 4 burst shots.

It is scary that the guage is that fickle because if I am supposed to get like 300+ shots on these batteries according to the manual you would think the battery guage would show full until you hit over 150 shots.

At least I now know there MAY not be a problem with the camera. I have some new 2500 Powerex's on the way so that should help too.

corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote