Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 8, 2006, 7:39 PM   #1

Had to laugh when I saw Robar's thread. Another moment of madness hits me too. I get home from work last Sunday morning, (work graveyard shift), and I see a fa *300mm 4.5 lens on ebay for a reasonable "buy it now price". But it has no lens hood-not too big a deal I guess. Being the compulsive that I am, I buy it immediately. Actually, I've been looking for this lens for some time, but missed out on some of the others that were on ebay. Tough to find one. So I see it's cleared Canadian customs, and might be here by tomorrow if I'm lucky, but probably early next week. Can't wait to use this lens for some wildlife shots. But does anyone have any idea at all where to get the stock lens hood for this lens? It's not a huge deal as I can get a telephoto lens hood from a 3rd party source, but would obviously prefer the stock version.......cheers......Don.:?
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:21 PM   #2

i'll bet it's going to be hard item to find. how much was ''reasonable'' for this lense.

the 105mm cost me 141USD deliveredwith the BIN option.

roy
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:14 PM   #3

Reasonable for this lens. Hmm. Ya, it ain't cheap. $730. The last 2 to go on ebay went for over $1100, so I didn't feel too bad. Lens hoods can easily be had if you don't mind the 3rd party solution. I really don't mind if I have to use one. It'd be nice to have the stock one, if only for resale, but it's not a big deal for me. As long as the lens performs and functions properly, that's good enough for me.......cheers....Don.

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'll bet it's going to be hard item to find. how much was ''reasonable'' for this lense.

the 105mm cost me 141USD deliveredwith the BIN option.

roy
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

700usd is about right from the tracking i've done.. a VERY big congrats on the purchase..

roy
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:28 PM   #5

Thanks Roy. I hope my searching has been worth it. I actually contemplated switching systems because I wanted a lens of this specific speed and length without going for a 3rd party lens. Myself, I just don't understand Pentax's marketing and thinking about certain things. No 200mm f/2.8, 300 f/4.5, 80-200 f/2.8 etc, etc, etc...Boggles the mind when you see the other two "Lords of the Manor" still cranking out lenses to meet most peoples wishes and desires. Seems like a no brainer to me to still produce the 2 primes I mentioned. They're ranked 2 of the better lenses ever made-period. Why would they stop making such a killer product? Like I said, it boggles the mind.....Well I guess I don't have to worry too much about it now that I found what I was looking for. Still looking for the FA 80-200 though..Next lens on the hit list....600mm........nah, just kidding....Don.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:06 PM   #6

in that range i'd recommend the A70-210 f4. it's not AF but it's sharp as a tack.. very underrated lens and can be had for under 100usd. i love mine.

roy