Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:39 AM   #1

I was looking around for a new lense for my pentax ds, nothing in partical. I came across lense at ritzcamera.com

They claim that the glass was worth $462 but now its only $85. I know some retail use tatics like this to sell stuff. They would raise the price to mark it down. ***cough Macy's cough ***.

Is this glass worth $85 that they once sold for $462?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:05 AM   #2

The price in Sweden now (new, from retail internet shop) is, with todays exchange rate, 293.799 US Dollars for a FA 80-200 f4.7-5.6. Can't believe it has ever been 462.

The FA 80-200 f2,8 is sold at 2584.55 US Dollars.

Conclusion: you're right. Just gogivethem what they deserve:-x(85 still a good price)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3

How stupid of me, I forgot to post the link to the glass
:-)

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/CLR541610242.htm
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4

This was the bargain basement Pentax zoom of its day. Is it worth $85, definitely, was it ever worth $462, not at all. This is a lens that typically sold for less than $200US. In fact a B&Had in the Dec 1998 Shutterbug lists it at $129.95 brand new.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:09 PM   #5

Ritz isquoting the original msrp - a price at which maybe 2 or 3 were sold. Cameras and lenses are typically substantially discounted in the US - even by Ritz. This lens has been discontinued for quite some time, and therefore should be even less than its original price. Pentax discontinued lots of F and FA lenses.

What's really important is whether or not the lens is worth $85. I've had it ever since it was discontinued. It's small and light and takes 49mm filters that I already had for a prime lens. Picture quality is good except at the very ends of its range.

I avoid lenses specifically designed for the *istD etc as I want to be able to usemy lenseson film SLRs. For me, it was a good choice.
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 5:11 PM   #6

all i've got to say is if you are interested in that range then look for the M80-200 f4or the A70-210. the 70-210 f4is an AMAZING lens. it's sharper wide open and thru out than my 200 f4 prime. it's not AF but what you are looking for is quality..

roy
Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:46 PM   #7

No I am not really looking for that zoom range I just came across from it. If it was really worth that much, then it would be a good deal. I tend to buy things that I dont need if its a good deal. I know its a bad habbit. As of right now I already have a lense that is similair to that zoom range. I have a sigma 28-200mm, I forgot what series was it but I got a good deal from it. bhphoto.com sold that lense for $200 while I picked it up on ebay for only $70 or so shipped. That was a deal that I couldnt pass.

But if I didnt already have this sigma, I would think about buying it. But for right now, Ill pass on it.

Thanks for those who replied to this.