Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:43 PM   #1

I made my decision, stuck to it and ordered a DL, but not the kit. I ordered it without the kit lens, and ordered the versitile Tamron 28-300mm lens as my "cover the bases" starter lens.

According to the review, my old Olympus C720 UZ has an equivalent 40-320 mm range. I had it out this weekend and was trying to photograph the Truman Dam/Truman Lake/Lake of the Ozarks junction -- and thought -- hey, this ain't wide enough for something like this, and my new camera's going to be about the same.

So the new camera's not even here yet (it's likely to show up tomorrow) and I'm already fretting about another lens.

Now I know that kit lens was 18-55. And I didn't buy it. The Tamron, like I said, will cover the upper range of that.

So since this is a Digital SLR, I should be able to go find me a wide-angle lens to plop on there when I want to attempt to capture "big" scenes. If I were to look at used lenses, or even ok quality new ones -- what might any of you suggest I look for?

The hunt IS part of the fun, right?

Phil

philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2

I believe you may have passed up on the best deal, the kit lens. Decent quality, a declutching manual focus in AF mode and the coverage of a 27mm lens in 35mm format. The Tamron 18-200mm (I hope I got those numbers right) would have given you the nearly the telephoto view of your old Oly and a 27mm equivalent as well.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are very few lenses wide enough to replace the kit lens at a reasonable price.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:12 PM   #3

I'll sell you my kit lens, cheap, and i've used it once.
fiftiesdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:46 PM   #4

Yeah. Water under the bridge, though. Can't worry about that. I thought maybe a fixed wide angle would do the trick and I might be able to find one of those. I suppose that deal would've been an extra $55 over what I paid -- you're right. Not bad in the long run.

And frankly, I'd PROBABLY be happy most of the time with the 28-300.

But ... I'll soon find out, won't I? :G
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:12 PM   #5

I sold mine too earlier at around $100. Maybe I got a bad copy and there have been quite a few users endorsing that 18-55.

Daniel

fiftiesdean wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:36 PM   #6

it's expensive but i've heard raves for the smc da 16-45mm. i think if i was going to spend that much i'd probably be looking for something in the 10,12mm-24,28mm.

roy
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:25 PM   #7

I bought the DL camera with the kit lens and yes it is very good but for my all around lens I bought the Sigma 18-125. I also have the Sigma 28-300 but for most of my shooting the 18-125 gives me the wide angle I like and a good zoom for most pictures. The range of the 28-300 gives me the long shots when needed though a little heavy, good macro though. Check out 18-125 or comparable lens from other manufacturers.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8

fiftiesdean wrote:
Quote:
Well... let me know what you have in mind (we can talk offline via the private message function) and I'll see what I think.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:55 PM   #9

My DS came with the Sigma 18-125 as the kit lens and It does a reasonable job of wide angle stuff with enough telephoto grunt to be versatile as a good walking around lens.

Of course as I mainlky shoot sports action the LBA has kicked in with a good range of old telephoto primes.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:11 AM   #10

For a little extra when purchasing a D series camera, it's probably a good idea to pick up the kit lens too. Don't think you can do much better for any AF lens at that price. It performs quite well. I also have the 16-45DA, and to be honest, don't think it is a huge step in performance. Biggest difference is constant f/4, and it is very sharp wide open. No vignetting either. You might experience a little with the kit lens, but for the price, it's hard to beat......cheers....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote