Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:18 PM   #1

Ok, queston for you all here.

When you charge a set of batteries, how long should they be expected to hold that charge before actualuse?

Just that I seem to be having a problem here with either my camera (the one I have just had exchanged).

I charged my batteries less than a week ago, put a new set in tonight and it showed low power so I changed for the other set of supposed fully charged batteries and it showed battery depleted. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the camera or the batteries but I did try the depleted set in the flash gun to see and they worked just fine, though I don't think I can really use it as a comparison.

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do, if I go back to Jessops again, I will have to either ask for a refund or exchange for a Nikon D50 as that's the only other camera within my price range, unless I go back to a non slr type.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, meanwhile, I have put the batteries on charge again and will try them out tomorrow before I do anything, will also try a completely different brand new set of rechargables too, might be able to rule out a camera problem that way.

Sigh

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:38 PM   #2

it takes NMH batteries about 10cycles to fully take a charge. you have to break them in. your charger is a big difference also. are you using a smart charger? what size batteries- MAHs? i'll tell you this, if my batteries have set for a week +, i top them off before i leave. i'm using a maha mh-204f. it's a great charger. i bought a lot of 6 of them recently and posted them on another forum for $10 and they lasted about 20 minutes.. they got a deal and i got a free charger.

go to www.thomasdistributing.com and ck out what they offer.

roy
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:42 PM   #3

Oh heck, I've no idea what the charger is, I bought it a couple of years ago, batteries too, guess they could be on their way out by now but will do what you do in future, top the charge up before I go out if they've been standing.

The new batteries and charger are uniross, 21oonmah I believe the batteris are. They are the ones that were in my camera when it kept playing silly b's before.

Oh well, I will assume it'a a bettery thing and not a camera thing, nobody can be that unlucky surely! lol!

Will see if I can get a new charger and new batteries in a few weeks time, meanwhile, I have four sets of batteries I can use so if they don't last as long as expected, i should still have enough on me to be able to continue using the camera (I hope) lol!

Alison
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:04 PM   #4

when you get a charger get a fast charer but not one of the 15 minute type. i'll probably get mobbed for this but it just seems to ''ME" that all the heat generated with these chargers would break down the battery.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:32 PM   #5

Hi Alison - This advice may not be agreed on by everyone, but you have been fighting this problem long enough that it's going to ruin your enjoyment of photography if you don't get it taken care of. My advice is to invest in a set of Energizer Lithium batteries and forget the rechargables until you get this problem solved. A small investment can give you some piece of mind.

You should be able to pick up four AAEnergizer Lithiums for about $10, don't know what that is in pounds. I'll bet Jessops has them. If the Lithiums don't cure your problem, then I don't think any other battery will. I've been down the same road your traveling and I can tell you, not all rechargables are the same. The Lithiums will help you determine if it's the camera or the batteries, then you can decide what you want to do. My first set of Lithiums gave me 700 shots after my newly charged rechargables wouldn't even turn the camera on. Yes, theywere 3 yearold rechargables, but I still use them in my Fuji - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:45 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
when you get a charger get a fast charer but not one of the 15 minute type. i'll probably get mobbed for this but it just seems to ''ME" that all the heat generated with these chargers would break down the battery.
Its you and me Against the worldRoy. I agree With You 200%!!!

When You decide to Get some new Batterys. Checkout "Thomas Distributing" they Have a great selection of batterys and Chargers. I am trying out a New set of Sanyo 2700Mahs and So far there are great. I can also highly reccomend the Maha Powerx Batterys and chargers.

Another thing You can try is to Pick up some CR-V3's and see If you still have the problem.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 6:06 AM   #7

Alison,

You said your battteries are a couple of years old!!!!!

Question, are they NiMH or NiCAD batteries, NiCAD won't do?

If they are NiMH, try and score some with at least 2500mah or higher.

There are some deals on Ebay for these. I use the green ones for my flash and have not had a problem. Don't bust a gut to get them they are on eBay everyday wait til the last minute and make a 1 cent bid, all yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/12-AA-2500mAh...QQcmdZViewItem

Some come with chargers

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-1-Hr-Fast...QQcmdZViewItem

I agree with Bper, get a lithium batttery first and make sure the camera is okay, then start chasing rechargeables.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:59 AM   #8

I bought the energizer 2500mah NIMH batteries with 8 hour smart charger for about $20C, and they seem very good. Never bothered counting how many shots they take, but they seem to last around 2-3 sessions for me which means about 400-600 shots....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:29 AM   #9

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking of getting a one hour charger, or half hour one. One of my chargers is a three hour one, however, I don't think it's working properly so am probably taking it back to the shop! lol!
Quote:
Another thing You can try is to Pick up some CR-V3's and see If you still have the problem.
Quote:
Yep, am going to do that, you can actually getrechargable CR-V3's as well which might be a better option in the long run.
Quote:
Alison

BK
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:31 AM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Alison,

You said your battteries are a couple of years old!!!!!

Question, are they NiMH or NiCAD batteries, NiCAD won't do?

If they are NiMH, try and score some with at least 2500mah or higher.
Quote:
They are definitely NiMH two sets are 1600 and the other two sets are 2400
Quote:
Alison