Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:36 AM   #1

This really isn't specific to a Pentax Dslr but that's what I shoot with so I posted it here. Plus I think the Pentax group is a smart bunch.

I was talking to this guy yesterday and we got in to the ususal "What do you do for a living?" I told him what I did (internal audit) and he said "I did that too but I had to resign" but I won't get in to the reason why. I think that was his first untruth because my position requires a collegedegree and this guy didn't have one. Then he told me that he had his wedding photography business and, of course, I became interested in talking about cameras. I told him I was a bit of an amateur photographer and I asked him what type of equipment he uses. He told me he was a Fuji man but shot the weddings with a Canon. He backed up and told me that he shot half and half digital and film. I wanted to dig a little deeper so I asked what type of cameras and he told me a Finepix and aCanon"film". Then he told me he used Photoshop and since this guy was a "pro"I wanted to know if he used CS and he looked at me like I was nuts. He had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't even tell me what version he was using. I told him that I was contemplating purchasing a fast lens and I got the same strange look like I was speaking Japanese to him. He then went on to tell me that he used to shoot for a newspaper but it went out of business (I'm guessing from the bad pictures they published).

Is this guy a liar or arethere really "professionals"like this? Sorry for the long post.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:45 AM   #2

For one thing if you shoot half film and half digital the images will not look the same if you put them in the same book, so you would have to use one book for digital and one for film. I think he is a low end, part time wedding photographer and has a real job to pay the bills.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:39 AM   #3

Sounds like he is just a big talker. That is all.
It is not unusal for a
pro wedding photographer to use digital and MF (in transition).

Daniel

jerkules wrote:
Quote:
This really isn't specific to a Pentax Dslr but that's what I shoot with so I posted it here. Plus I think the Pentax group is a smart bunch.

I was talking to this guy yesterday and we got in to the ususal "What do you do for a living?" I told him what I did (internal audit) and he said "I did that too but I had to resign" but I won't get in to the reason why. I think that was his first untruth because my position requires a collegedegree and this guy didn't have one. Then he told me that he had his wedding photography business and, of course, I became interested in talking about cameras. I told him I was a bit of an amateur photographer and I asked him what type of equipment he uses. He told me he was a Fuji man but shot the weddings with a Canon. He backed up and told me that he shot half and half digital and film. I wanted to dig a little deeper so I asked what type of cameras and he told me a Finepix and aCanon"film". Then he told me he used Photoshop and since this guy was a "pro"I wanted to know if he used CS and he looked at me like I was nuts. He had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't even tell me what version he was using. I told him that I was contemplating purchasing a fast lens and I got the same strange look like I was speaking Japanese to him. He then went on to tell me that he used to shoot for a newspaper but it went out of business (I'm guessing from the bad pictures they published).

Is this guy a liar or arethere really "professionals"like this? Sorry for the long post.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:08 PM   #4

I don't know, I have met people who actually take pictures for a living and truly know nothing about what they are doing or the equipment they are using. In most cases they have a lab that does all of the processing (whether digital or film), they have a camera and flash that they have had some instruction on how to use, and they may even have a portable studio lighting system that they have been taught how to set up and break down.In some cases ifyou pick up their camera they panic because you may press a button which will change the mode and they have no way of getting it back. Many of these "pros" work for a lab that specializes in assembly line work, like school pictures, and all they need is to be able to pose their subjects and work fast. Some of them are very good at what they do, while others....

Professional is not really a mark of excellence, it may only mean you do it for a living (no arguments over semanitcs here please, this is a valid definition of professional). To some the equipment is of no real consequence unless it doesn't work. As amateurs we are often far more involved in the arcane terminology or the minutae of camera specifications than we are in capturing the image. I believe everyone should be familiar with the tools they use, but I know that some are not, and in some cases the results are surprizingly good.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5
Administrator

My wife is a good example of that. She's a much better photographer than I am (probably because she has always been interested in art, and also draws and paints). She's got a very good eye.

Yet, she knows very little about equipment.

On the other hand, I'm pretty good with the technical "mumbo jumbo", yet I have to work very hard to get good images. My photography skills need a lot of improvement.

My wife is the real photographer in the family. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:27 PM   #6

There are some people who either like to hear themselves talk or just want to impress other people.

If it talks like a duck and walks like a duck, it's probably not a swan.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:06 PM   #7

I have a friend in Monterey CA that is a Pro Wedding Photographer, he get $4,000 per wedding and he knows nothing about computers or processing his images, a lab does it all for him.

He shot one wedding with film and digital and he showed me the books and the film looked much different than the digital images, so they couldn't be put together since anyone would notice. He doesn't do that any more!

Tom
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:38 PM   #8

I have been doing my latest job for 18 years and I have no Idea what I am doing and I am an expert....:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::?:?:?:?:? :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:03 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend in Monterey CA that is a Pro Wedding Photographer, he get $4,000 per wedding and he knows nothing about computers or processing his images, a lab does it all for him.

He shot one wedding with film and digital and he showed me the books and the film looked much different than the digital images, so they couldn't be put together since anyone would notice. He doesn't do that any more!

Tom
me , i think he's full of s%^$, i see this all the time..

tom, i really think your friend needs a different guy or lab.. or maybe a better digital..

roy
Old Jun 15, 2006, 8:59 PM   #10

Roy,

He uses a Canon EOS 5D with their IS 2.8 lenses, but doesn't need to know anything about processing since the lab does it all.

Tom