Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2006, 12:48 AM   #1

Got the Phoenix macro lens today and agree with the reviews. It's very light - something I wanted after dragging around the heavy Kiron for a while. The plastic does seemlike it'sflimsy (guess that's the right word, didn't want to use light again), so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Guess that's the price one pays for it to weigh so little.

The optics are excellent! I was really impressed with how sharp it is - much sharper than using the 50mm and the homemade extension tube. Focusing is marginally easier without the adaptor and about the same with the matched 1:1 adaptor that comes with the lens. I hadn't really paid attention to how fast the lens is, but its a reasonable 3.5 - though using it as a macro the DOF is so small, I'll probably not use it wide open muchanyway. I'm really going to have fun with this lens, and want to thank all of you for suggesting that I take a look at it. It's well worth how little it costs compared to other macro lenses in this range.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:16 AM   #2

H,

congrats, i've seen many a great macro shot with this lens. i probably would have gotten it except for the need for the adapter to get to 1:1. the vivitar 105mm i just got(made by Kino) is a beast at over a pound and about 8'' long at 1:1 but i love it. can you use the onboard flash wit it??

roy
Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3

Remember that the Cosina-made Phoenix is actually the same lens as the Pentax FA 100mm f3.5 macro except for the genuine Pentax electronics and the SMC coating.

Unless you plan on physically abusing it, it will probably do you for many years. BTW, I want one.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 3:28 PM   #4

these are on ebay all the time..

roy
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:49 PM   #5

Haven't tried the flash yet - I've never been very good luckwith flash pictures so don't think about using it at all (actively avoid it quite often). Guess that will be my next assignment - find out if the flash will work with this lens. Don't imagine that it would work well when using the 1:1 adaptor - wouldn't you be too close to the subject so that the lens would block part of the light from the flash? More on that later!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:22 PM   #6

quite possibly, BUT, you canbuild, out of paper, a deflector, difusser for the onboard flash
my macro rig uses off camera flash but it cost me a fairly good lens to set up..

edit: i did however get a vivitar 550 that is a dedicated TTL flash on ebay for $10 delivered and it works great..

roy