Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:52 AM   #1
TDN

Hi,
I'm fairly new to photography (I've only really experimented for about a year and a half or so...If you don't count playing around with my granpa's old SLR )

Recently I got a great bargain on a *ist DL, so I got introduced into DSLR's

Now, I have terrible eyesight. ( -7 dioptry on my left eye, and -4 on the right, and a lot of other problems)
Nonetheless, I have a great love for photography (maybe because I've been looking trough lenses all my life ), and as long as everything is autofocussed, I have no problems taking decent shots.

However, since I'm still a student, my budget is very limited, so I'm looking around on ebay for older Pentax lenses that will fit my *ist DL. Mostly manual focus.

My problem is that due to my eyesight, I can hardly get the manual focus right with the standard focusing screen. (The old Nikon ME I got from my granpa had a split focus, which worked wonderfully for me)

So my question is: Do you have any recommendations to what my options are?
I found a topic from 2005 about this on here, but due to my inexperience, I wanted to ask you guys again.

What I'd like is a split focusing/rangefinder screen, like on my old Nikon ME, which will help me focus accurately without perfect eyesight.
Also, the nikon had a sort of ring around that split circle that distorted the image if it was focussed poorly. I don't know what it's called in my own language, let alone in English

Also, do you have any advice about replacing this screen myself? Would it be easy enough to not screw up with my shaky hands?

And what about
warranty? Would they notice if I put the old screen back if I ever would need repairs? Like, is there some sort of protection cover that makes the warranty void when broken?

And would it interfere with metering etc. on the *ist DL?

My apologies for the long line of questions, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could shed light on this matter for me...

Thanks in advance,
TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2

ira will be around here shortly. he'll have answers for you.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Also, do you have any advice about replacing this screen myself? Would it be easy enough to not screw up with my shaky hands?
I'm waiting for answers to this question as well. I don't want to replace the screen, but I've got dust under the screen where I can't get to it with the brush and would simply like to take the screen off to clean beneath it.

I've read about taking the metal clip off, but I haven't had any luck and I don't want to force it and break either the screen or the clip. If someone could post a picture of what needs to be removed and how it would help a lot.
KennyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4
TDN

Ok, I'll wait for his advice then
robar wrote:
Quote:
ira will be around here shortly. he'll have answers for you.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:13 PM   #5

can't believe monza hasn't jumped in here. i know he changes his.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:29 PM   #6

Sorry guys, I was correcting final exams for my grade 10 science class.

Ischi, http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...7&frm=1728 on ebay often has split image screens (when the parts are available) which are cut down from older camera parts (such as the Minolta X700). Decent quality, very low price.

Katz Eye Optics also sells screens http://66.147.229.44/page--Custom-Fo...ns--store.html expensive but complete and custom made for the job.

As for changing the screens, get the instructions for the *istDS and follow them, the DL is exactly the same. It is a little tricky, so if you have any reservations find a friend who is adept with fine mechanical things to help.

Interchangeable screens is another one of Pentax's strangely undocumented features (such as the level of information exchanged with the FA lenses, Nikon has only recently reached this point).

I also use a DL and have some issues with manual focus, I have an Ischi screen but I don't have the better Minolta-based split screen but instead the larger split which is a little distracting. There may be some minor issues with exposure and AF performance when using these screens but nothing that cannot be accommodated.

BTW I find that using the cameras focus confirmation light and tone will work as long as the lens is stopped down enough for the depth of field to cover minor focus error.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 3:54 PM   #7
TDN

Thanks, I added the katz-link to my bookmarks, as I will most likely go with the Katz screen when I get a spare buck.
I'll take certitude before the price, so I don't interfere with the metering/AF...

Anyway I'll invest in some decent lenses first, and see how well I do with this focusing screen.

After that, I think I'll check out the 95$ Katz screen.
I'll keep an eye out in Ischi's ebay items too

Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:06 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ira, on the subject of screens, does Pentax make a 9 square grid screen (aids in composition) which can be retrofitted into the DL? I understand the Nikon D70 (biting my toungue as I speak) has a composition grid which can be turned on/off. My Pentax Optio 550 has such a composition grid which I find very useful in composition (keeping horizons straight, using the rule of thirds, etc)?

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:41 PM   #9

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
As for changing the screens, get the instructions for the *istDS and follow them, the DL is exactly the same. It is a little tricky, so if you have any reservations find a friend who is adept with fine mechanical things to help.
I'vedownloaded the DS users manual, but found no reference to changing the focus screen. I didn't have much luck with Google either.

Do you have a link to intructions for removing the screen.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Ira, on the subject of screens, does Pentax make a 9 square grid screen (aids in composition) which can be retrofitted into the DL? I understand the Nikon D70 (biting my toungue as I speak) has a composition grid which can be turned on/off. My Pentax Optio 550 has such a composition grid which I find very useful in composition (keeping horizons straight, using the rule of thirds, etc)?

Search B&H Photo for the LL-60 AF Divided Matte Focusing Screen. I think that is what you are looking for.