Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:34 PM   #11

i like your 1st one also. all i did was blur the background. there's a discussion of the very thing over in dpr. of course nothing gets decided.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=18879227

there are some very good statements in this thread.

roy
edit: i think that if adams was alive today there would be a program called Adamshop. he was an innovator and i think he would have used PS any way he could.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:40 PM   #12

Alison, check this thread if you've missed it. I think we had a very interesting and clarifying discussion.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #13

thanks dan,
i'd forgot this thread. jump in alison..

roy
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:24 PM   #14
TDN

I'd go with the first one.

For nature shots sharpening, cropping and playign around with the levels is usually sufficiƫnt.

The background on the 2nd is a little too dominant if you ask me. I like the first one better, brings out the subject better.
TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:44 PM   #15

Thanks for all the comments etc. Just checking out the other threads quickly now, will read in more detail tomorrow probably, getting late now and my eyes are tired! lol!

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:00 PM   #16

robar wrote:
Quote:
ACR= adobe camera raw

RSP= raw shooter pro

programs for developing raw images..
Ah right, thanks for clarifying that. Well, I can't really give my view on the previous question as I have never shot in raw, only jpeg! lol!

One of the reasons I haven't shot in raw is because I tend not to alter my images too much and correct me if I am wrong but I get the impression that you tend to need to make adjustments if you shoot in raw whereas in jpeg, it's purely choice.

I'm probably wrong, still new to alot of this stuff! lol!

I do intend to try raw at some point, not sure when though! lol!

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:40 PM   #17

well, all i know is that as soon as you hit the shutter button you have altered the scene in raw or jpg. in raw you have the option to develope the canvas as to how you saw it. with jpg, the onboard chip alters the scene to what it's been programed to do. if no one ever altered an image then there would have been no ansel adams, no margerett burke-white, no alfred eisenstat, no w. eugene smith and the list goes on and on and on.

roy
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:29 AM   #18

This one is "right out of the camera". RAW, opened in RSE and converted to jpeg without any changes done. Resized for posting with PSE3. A rather uninteresting and not very good photo.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:38 AM   #19

Same RAW, levels adjusted, cropped and resized in PSE3 (using the Save for the web-option) and finally sharpened a bit with Unsharp mask. Still no masterpiece, but anyway a bit more interesting IMHO. And I don't feel even a bit ashamed.

Kjell

PS It also brings out some interesting details, like the sign at the upper left. It says "Road of approach" which can be good for you to know if you ever come to Sweden. Knowing this you won't have to wonder what the heck Swedes do to entertain themselves.:lol:

Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:19 AM   #20

I have never tweaked anyone elses :-)

I hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote