Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1

Ok, am tired today and the weather isn't up to much so decided to look at my buzzard shots again.

I got to experimenting with a couple in photoshop (you all know how I dislike altering images!).

Anyway, here are a couple of shots, one is the original resized and sharpened and the second is the photoshopped version, don't ask me what I did exactly as I can't remember the full details.

I'd appreciate opinions please as to whether I should go down the road of doing this sort of thing to my shots for printing. Up to now, I have detested the idea of altering but given the result here, I am kind of warming to it.

Thanks in advance

Alison
Attached Images

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:28 AM   #2

This is the photoshopped version

Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3

personally
i like the first one, the feathers look whiter

i dont like playing with my photos much either
as a rule i look at auto levels and see if it looks better
maybe play with curves if i want the contrast increasing
or maybe if i want to darken it to make it moody
and sharpen it
thats about it usually

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:50 AM   #4

alison,
i see nothing wrong with artistic license. most all my shots have had something done to them as i only shoot in raw.. would you say that developing an image in ACR or RSP is altering the shot?? i'm curious about your answer.

roy
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5

comments on the shot: i like both equally but if it was me i'd burn the background in darker of the second one..
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:58 AM   #6

this is a real quickie. is it still the image you captured??

you know ansel adams wrote many a book about altering his images. the whole zone system is based on it.

roy
Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
alison,
i see nothing wrong with artistic license. most all my shots have had something done to them as i only shoot in raw.. would you say that developing an image in ACR or RSP is altering the shot?? i'm curious about your answer.

royUmm, scuse my dumbness but can you explain to me what ACR and RSP are, I'll probably realise once it's explained! lol!
Quote:
Alison
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:44 AM   #8

I do like your result, looks lovely, however, I think for me that would be too much alteration on the original. I don't really like altering at all but if I can improve upon what I have, then it might be useful. I prefer to keep as much of the orignal as possible to be honest, I feel like I am cheating if I do more than just enhance the existing shot. Does that make sense?

Alison
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9

ACR= adobe camera raw

RSP= raw shooter pro

programs for developing raw images..
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:53 AM   #10

Actually, looking at the three shots together, I do prefer my original one in terms of colour. I dp like the colours on Robar's one, I like the way the whiter feathers stand out but do prefer my original background, purely because I can't get my head around the whole thing with altering images.

I don't think I can complain about any of yesterday's results, it was an amazing experience in itself and I'm still thinking about it today.

Alison