Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Found this 25 year old lens laying around the house been thinking of getting ist DL.

Would I be able to use this manual lens?

Let me say will the pentax camera be able to work with this lens,if I am able to use it is another story...
thanks

Trido

Attached Images

trido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:21 AM   #2

YES
i've got the f1.4 model and it's as sharp as it was 28 years ago.

roy
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:24 AM   #3

sorry,
the way you use this lens on the d series is you view and set up the shot at full aperture then press the Ae-L button and the cam shuts the shutter down and takes an exposure reading and the you shoot. sounds like a lot but it's not.

roy
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks Roy I am just torn between ist DL and NIKON D 50 a couple friends both have Nikon.

However I want a D SLR and only have about 500 to spend and right now Dell has the pentax ist DL for $509 with Kit lens.

One worry seen some reviews photos way soft I just dont any post work I like what comes right out of the camera.

I think at 509 I cant go wrong any fast thoughts

thanks

Trido

also is there a ist DL2 model Dell site doesnt show the 2 was that a big upgrade?

trido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:31 AM   #5

Full aperature, well that explains where I messed up with mine, did everything else just didn't set it to full aperature. Thanks for the info
Joliet Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #6

Joliet Jim wrote:
Quote:
Full aperature, well that explains where I messed up with mine, did everything else just didn't set it to full aperature. Thanks for the info
i forgot to say that you need to be in M (manual) mode to do this.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7

trido wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Roy I am just torn between ist DL and NIKON D 50 a couple friends both have Nikon.

However I want a D SLR and only have about 500 to spend and right now Dell has the pentax ist DL for $509 with Kit lens.

One worry seen some reviews photos way soft I just dont any post work I like what comes right out of the camera.

I think at 509 I cant go wrong any fast thoughts

thanks

Trido

also is there a ist DL2 model Dell site doesnt show the 2 was that a big upgrade?
get the ist. then get an ebay account.. in fact ck ebay for the cam.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8

Trido

Look around on the internet there are places cheaper then Dell. Look at Butterflyphoto.com... I got mine there for $455 plus shipping, no tax unless your in NY. Do search on Google for your *istDl. I use my old ME Super lenses quite a bit with no problems.... just set up your camera correctly. Make good use of your old lenses unless you want to sell them. My son just bought a new Canon EOS Rebel and he has a closet full of FD and A1 lenese that he can't use now. Stay with the Pentax.
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:14 PM   #9

The D50 will only provide full function with AF Nikon lenses, the Pentax will work with every Pentax K-mount lens (with obvious limitations such as stop down metering and manual focus).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:49 PM   #10
TDN

I was in exactly the same situation as you. Doubts between the *ist DL and the Nikon D50.

Here's what I found convincing about the DL:

-Very nice viewfinder, definitly a plus compared to the Nikon. Also an interchangeable focusing screen. (Ira, I was told you're the guy to talk to about that, please see my other topic about it, tnx)

-Cheap, great quality lenses on ebay, that will work WITH metering (a little tweaking is required, but it's better than Nikon, which provides no metering with old lenses)

-Compact, travel-friendly.

-Very nice low light performance

-Noticably better kit lens.

The Nikon has a little more performance and more sharpness "out of the box". But dont forget that a program like photoshop will do wonders. (The "sharpen" filter for example) For amateur photography the DL is more than sufficiƫnt. (note that a D50 isn't a professional camera either)
Also the Nikon has an AF assist lamp, which the Pentax resolves with a strobing flash. This wasn't really an issue for me, because you can find AF-assist on many addon flashes too. And I rarely do flash photography.

I doubted for a long time, but eventually I bumped on a bargain for a 1 month old second hand *ist DL, and I'm very happy with it.

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote