Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:39 AM   #11
TDN

Well, the problem is that shipping costs a fortune overseas.
So I appreciate the thought, but I'll keep looking on ebay.

I asked the seller about the vivitar, whether it truly has a 1:1 function.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:40 AM   #12

the link i gave you above says 1:4 for that lens. i think shipping is around 10usd.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:10 PM   #13
TDN

I think I'm gonna try and win this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0%3D%26fvi%3D1

It's a Cosina 100mm. 1:2 macro, but it comes with an extra filter-lens that make sit into a 1:1 lens.

I hope it stays in my budget...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:16 PM   #14
TDN

Oh btw about that Vivitar I mentioned.
I got a reply from the seller. It says 1.1 and not 1:1. So mainly it's a 1:10. Thats not even close to what I want.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 4:57 PM   #15

The folks here tell me this lens (Cosina 100mm)is sold under a couple of names. I have the Phoenix version of it (got it last week), and I really like it! It's about the sharpest lens I have, and the macro capabilities are excellent. It seems to get confused when if you try to autofocus when using the matched adaptor, so I just use manual focus. It's so sharp that it's pretty easy to tell when you have a good focus.

I played with using the flash Friday and got mixed results. I really know nothing about flash, so I could have been doing something really stupid when it didn't work, but since I'm so clueless, I don't know if the problem I had was the lens or the operator. I did fine when I was outside and using the flash for fill-flash on a couple of macro flower pictures (though one showed lens shadow). When I went inside, the flash wiped out everything - does this mean the lens isn't compatible with the camera's flash? As I said, I'm clueless when it comes to flashes, have had horrible luck with them, and avoid them whenever possible (though I've tried to take the same dark flower before without the flash and the flash pictures were far superior).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:03 PM   #16

H,
the prob you are having is that the flash is not a P-TTL flash. the DL does not support TTL flashes and at the distances you are working at it's hard to set up a manual settiing. try the onboard if it'll work. 90% of my macros are with flash on auto TTL..
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:21 PM   #17

Guess I REALLY am clueless about flashes - I was using the on-board flash, not one mounted on the hotshoe, and that's what washed out everything. I do have a Pentax flash that I guess still works, if I could figure out how to use it right. You have to set something on the flash itself and the last time I tried to use it, I couldn't remember what to set or how to use it at all (and that was with the ME). Would that work with my DS, assuming I could find directions on how to use it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:56 PM   #18

the onboard should work. it's P-TTL. put the cam in manual, set the ap, and set the time to 1/180. that should work. it does for me. however, you may need to set the flash compensation to a plus or minus exp value. it just depends.. your older pentax flash will not work because it's a TTL flash and the DL does not support TTL as the DS and D does.

roy
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:29 AM   #19

I used a bellows for this picture with my ist *DS, it was my first serious attempt at macro work.

It is a piece of ancient (c1970) computer RAM and each of those little feritte rings is just visible to the naked eye!

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:51 AM   #20

Fantastic shot John.

Just wondering could you grab a regular shot with a dime or a penny next to the object so we can compare.

Excellent stuff. Thanks
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote