Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1

My Wife let me spring for a DSLR. Her Friend has the Rebel XT and it spurred her into thinking that I might like to get back to photography. I used to shoot a K1000 and before that a Konica T4. I have an old Tamron zoom 70-210? with macro. Almost as important are all of the filters that go with the lens. I also have a 50mm f2 Pentax prime.

I got the DL because of budget limitations and because if I waited for the K100 or K110 I probably would not get the camera until after the summer was over. I would want to see the reviews and then I would want to wait and see if there were any issues with the early models. I don't really like to be on the bleeding edge of technology.:O

Any good software or camera setting recoomendations?:?
PapaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:27 PM   #2

Hi Papamike

Welcome To the Forum. I Know you will have a Great Experiance With your new Camera.
You Will Find lots of Useful info and lots Of experiance in this Forum.
I Myself Started my journey In Photography With a Pentax ME some 20+ years ago.
I have had A few Cameras In between. But I came back about 6 months ago and bought the IStDs. I Love mine and All My lenses from the ME Work great With the DS.
As To software. I Personally Dont Use the Pentax Software. I suggest that you Checkout Adobe Photo shop Elements 4 Or Paint Shop Pro X. There are others but i have no experiance With them.
As to Camera Settings. This is just Me. However, At this point i would Suggest that
You Not Worry about Special settings just yet, just Go and play. Once you have a Little experiance with the Camera then We are here to answer Questions.

A Couple Of things i will say up front. You will need a good Camera Bag, I would suggest at least 2 memory Cards(Your Choice of size) and Extra Batterys.

Again welcome

PS- Most Important, post Some pictures for Us!!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:55 PM   #3

The digital Pentax cameras aren't that difficult to figure out for someone who's used film SLR cameras before. There are a couple of new concepts but not anything that overwhelming. I use several of the lenses I had bought with my ME over 20 years ago, or ones that my father bought (he got an ME Super after seeing my ME).

I use Photoshop CS2 - I first started using Photoshop a number of years ago and really like it. It's expensive, but if you have a connection somehow with a school, Adobe offers an academic version that is cheaper, but is still the full version of the program.

The raw converter that comes with the camera isn't bad -sometimes I have better luck figuring out how to adjust things with it than with ACR (stands for Adobe Camera Raw, the converter that is used with CS2 and PS Elements). Otherwise the software is pretty limited for manipulating your pictures.

My personal preference is to turn off the vivid mode (the default setting). The best thing is to take a bunch of pictures using both modes and decide for yourself.

Also, there's a setting in the custom menu that you'll need to change if your Tamron lens is a manual lens. That will allow you to use the aperture ring, then use the M mode and push the AE-L button to let the camera meter. It's not a big deal, even though I occasionally forget to set the shutter speed and end up with white or black frames.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:12 AM   #4

Hey PapaMike,

Welcome to the Forums! I'm a newbie myself (u can see I joined a month ago). Welcome to the *ist world. I bought my dl for Christmas & really have been happy so far. Honestly, I've only been shooting as a hobby w/ a ZX-7 for 4 years & then went digital. So, I still have a lot to learn but I feel like I have learned alot during the last month since joining the forum. The people that have been around for a while are very talented & informative also.

As far as equipment goes, you probably already know that you'll never have enough:G! If you don't Ebay, you may want to consider it. There are many good deals to be found there ... if you know what you're looking for & what the going rate for it is in your area. Last week, I got a 1gb SD memory card(which I like, LOTS of room) on Ebay for $20usd w/ shipping ... my local camera shop sells them for $60. 2 weeks ago, I bought a 2300mAh rechargeable battery pack w/ 8AA's, the charger, indoor plug & car plug for $22 - cam shop price $35 for 4AA & no car plug. & by the way, it's really nice to have another set of rechargeables ready to go when the ones in the camera go out because it's in their system to go out at the worst moment:angry:!!!!

Ok, I'll shut up now & tell ya welcome & enjoy!

Ron

p.s. If your wife likes flowers, get in the habit of shooting some for her .... It's AMAZING how well it works when you want to get new equipment:G!!! At least it is with mine .... but then again I've got a good one ... oh ok she's not looking over my back! LOL!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:32 AM   #5

SO much to buy.. So little money. Actually my wife kept asking me to photograph birds so she could ID them later. They were always too far away.

Anyone know of any good camera shops in Connecticut?

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:30 AM   #6

Hi PapaMike

I do 99% of my Business on line. However, I Hear that Milford Camera is a good place , just expensive. Not sure if they are up to speed on Pentax cameras or not.
They are in Milford ctr just off 95. http://milfordphoto.com/content/publish/default.shtml

I did try Ritz Camera, But all they wanted to do Is sell Cannon and Nikon equipment.

Best places on line are B&H photo, Amazon, JR music world. For batterys i Highly reccommend "Thomas Distributing"

BK

BTW- I am in Oxford

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:38 PM   #7

Trying to figure out how to post a picture. Ignore this message
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:22 PM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to the forum! RE. software recommendations, I am a big fan of Picasa (free download from Google). Very user friendly and intuitive and very versatile too. I have not heard feedback from others on this forum who are using it, but I like it! You already have many recommendations for tips and hints. The only thing I can add is to get 2500mh rechargeable AA batteries--decent life and will not break the bank!!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your DL! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:22 PM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to the forum! RE. software recommendations, I am a big fan of Picasa (free download from Google). Very user friendly and intuitive and very versatile too. I have not heard feedback from others on this forum who are using it, but I like it! You already have many recommendations for tips and hints. The only thing I can add is to get 2500mh rechargeable AA batteries--decent life and will not break the bank!!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from your DL! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:20 AM   #10

Mike - The one thing I want to add, is I have used a 50mm F2 Super Takumar with my DL and you will find it is one sharp lens. It doesn't take too long to learn how to use these old manual lenses. In the custom menu set "Use Aperture Ring" to Allowed.Set everything elseto manual and activate the light meter by pressing the shutter halfway or tap the AV button, then push the AE-L button to set the shutter speed. Be sure to have the aperture set on the lens to what you want to shoot at when you do this step (think of it as aperture priority). I then like to focus wide open, then stop it down againto take the picture. I don'tknow howto break this to you, but your about to find out how much fun picture taking can be and how sharp this old glass really is- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote