Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:16 AM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
bobdem wrote:
Quote:
The ubiquitous McMansion. (See Wikipedia)
Saddening. We've got a saying – if it's in the US today, it's in Sweden tomorrow. And when saidit's used as a warning, not as a promise.

Kjell
kjell, i think i understand.

i had english visitors on another place once. they told me that no one would ever build anything like this in the UK. i asked why. answer was because in the UK, you either had it or never would..

roy
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:23 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I have never figured out how folks can afford homes of this size especially being younger couples. I figure they are either leveraged to the hilt, or they are beneficiaries of a generous inheritance!! I look at the bright side though: it pumps money into the economy, keeps masons, carpenters, electricians, etc busy, and helps raise the value of my own!! Long live the American Dream!! Nice picture by the way! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:56 PM   #13

I find it raises my taxes also, which I am not thrilled with!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 7:56 PM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I find it raises my taxes also, which I am not thrilled with!

Tom

That's what my wife & I were just discussing. We live across the river from St. Louis & the home market has just skyrocketted in this area. The amount of taxes which we pay for our 46yo house & 1/2 acre is the same as a customer of mine pays for 5 acres, a 2700 sqft home & 3 outbuildings! It's just nuts! The only comfort we get from it all that we get is the hope of resell value in a couple of years.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:48 PM   #15

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Higher property taxes, so long as they are based on the increasing assessed value of the property are not all bad: it means you benefit from the higher equity in the property as well as a larger deduction on your federal & state taxes. I prefer to view the glass as half full. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:22 PM   #16

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Higher property taxes, so long as they are based on the increasing assessed value of the property are not all bad: it means you benefit from the higher equity in the property as well as a larger deduction on your federal & state taxes. I prefer to view the glass as half full. Jay
NOT!! if you moved to an area out of town 20 years ago for the solitude and low taxes and now your propery taxes have quadrupled. i'm not talking about the value of your house, just that of the real estate. i see 3-4000 square foot homes demolished simply because the of the value of the land.. and then a 8-20000 sq. ft. house built. it really hurts a lot of people..

roy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:26 AM   #17

I forgot to mention, the house above is also on a lake with 150' of lake frontage.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote