Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:46 PM   #11

Yes, after you suggested it. There is one on a site that looks like this fellow, even though there are other varieties that don't look much like it. It's got to be something on those line - they are related to grasshoppers and this guy, with his legs, certainly fits into that category.

I saw another one not far from yesterday's fellow, but the photos didn't come out as well (it was an awkward spot and I couldn't brace myself well enough to get the focus right, since they aren't very big).

The Phoenix lens does nicely at infinity, too. At lunch I got a reasonable shot of a helecopter in flight, not hovering. So its a nice lens for more than just macros.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:16 AM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I saw another one not far from yesterday's fellow, but the photos didn't come out as well (it was an awkward spot and I couldn't brace myself well enough to get the focus right, since they aren't very big).
welcome to macro mania.. you'll be using the delete key a lot.. get use to it as it'll help you in the end.. a katydid of mine.

roy
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:40 AM   #13

robar wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
welcome to macro mania.. you'll be using the delete key a lot.. get use to it as it'll help you in the end.. a katydid of mine.

roy
Roy,

Great shot. That was a good one . I am really interested in your lighting set up. Macro ring or dual flash ? Or other set up?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:03 AM   #14

Love yours also - these fellows are delicate and rewarding to photograph in macro because you can see the detail better. They aren't ugly, like some other bugs I could think of.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #15

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

Great shot. That was a good one . I am really interested in your lighting set up. Macro ring or dual flash ? Or other set up?

Daniel
dan,
my rig is over in this thread. you had commented that it was probably too heavy for you.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80.
i use an af400ftz off camera. i have a ring light and a ring flash but they tend to flatten everything. sometimes i use a vivitar 550 because it's a lot lighter.

H, keep on shooting. you've got it down.

roy
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:23 PM   #16

here's a pic of the vivitar rig. with the flash way out in front it's harder to control shake. maybe i could take it apart and build something else.

H, you'll be impressed once you get the flash off camera. unfortunately for the DL to do this it's rather expensive. something else you can try is to make a diffuser or reflector out of white paper. may not look great but it's results we want..

roy
Attached Images