Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

I'm tired of shaming myself for using a cheapo macro lens attachment and want to buy a legitimate but affordable zoom lens. My local camera shop doesn't carry any Pentax-compatible lenses, so I'm forced to shop online.

This Tamron lens caught my eye: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM28200XRPA
The 1.5 magnification from my *ist DS should allow this lens to serve me at 300mm. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this lens?

Should I consider getting the 28-300mm model instead (it is $39 more than the 28-200mm)? I'm only considering the 28-200mm for the price. Here is the details about the 28-300mm model: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM28300XRPA

Thanks in advance
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:38 AM   #2

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I'm tired of shaming myself for using a cheapo macro lens attachment and want to buy a legitimate but affordable zoom lens. My local camera shop doesn't carry any Pentax-compatible lenses, so I'm forced to shop online.

This Tamron lens caught my eye: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM28200XRPA
The 1.5 magnification from my *ist DS should allow this lens to serve me at 300mm. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about this lens?

Should I consider getting the 28-300mm model instead (it is $39 more than the 28-200mm)? I'm only considering the 28-200mm for the price. Here is the details about the 28-300mm model: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TM28300XRPA

Thanks in advance
A bunch of us have it over in the KM / Sony forum. Most of us like it, especially for the price. There is a newer model and it's about double in price, but no significant difference. It's a terrific walk-around lens.... not as sharp at 4.0 or wider, but it does a good job overall.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response!

Would you recommend I bite the cost/weight/quality bullet and get the 300mm instead of the 200mm? I'm wondering what I can do with the 200mm lens, and if the added distance of the 300mm lens is worth the extra $39.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:20 AM   #4
TDN

Well since you're going for macro, I would suggest you take the 300mm

If you look at the specs, the 28-300 has a 1:2.9 magnification ratio, compared to the 1:4 of the 28-200.

On your digital you'll even have a little better macro performance, so it'll be close to 1:2

I'm no expert, but I'd go for the 28-300

There are people on here that know a lot more about this stuff than me, so they'll probably help you out much better

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:21 AM   #5

All this 'true' macro against zoom-macro is confusing this ole man can anyone explain to point me somewhere EASY to understand.

As is this thing aboutthe ratios of 1:1, 1:2, 1:10 etc.

Thanks
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6
TDN

Well, those thing are measured in comparison to the size of classic 36mm film.

For example, 1:1 means that something you shoot will have the exact same size on the film as in reality. When the film is developed and printed on a larger format, this'll give you a pretty nice magnification.

1:2 means that it is half the size on the film compared to in reality. (thus: 1/2)
1:3 -> one third of the real size. etc...

Some ebayers put 1.1 in their auctions, and then quote the lens to be a macro lens, but 1.1 (notice the "." instead of ":") actually means 1:10, which means something you shoot will be 10 times smaller on the film than in reality, and so not really providing any real "macro"

Now since digital sensors are a little smaller than 36 mm film, the macro ratio is actually a little better than stated on the lens. (they're 24mm, so "36mm equivalent" is 24x1.5=36mm, that's why you can add half the focal length of lenses when used on a DSLR)
So 1:3 will actually be closer to 1:2 (do the math, 1:3 + 1:6 (half of 1:3) = 3:6 = 1:2)

Hope this answers your question.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote