Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2006, 7:53 PM   #11

everyone has summed it up, especially the advice about a graphics card. no photo processing program that i know of uses a graphics card for processing photos. as BK said, you'll need hd space and lots of dram memory or it's equivalent. i'm using a amd64, 3200, and 756m of memory. i really need twice the memory.

roy
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:10 PM   #12

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to the forum! Regarding the PC darkroom, I tend to shoot in RAW and JPEG using the same memory card. I use Picasa (free from Google) which can open and edit both types of images without any change in settings. Typically a RAW editor will not recognize JPEG images and vice versa. Overall, Picasa is very intuitive and user friendly andvery versatile. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:23 PM   #13

Thanks for all your feedback. very, very helpful. looking forward to posting some pics but got to admit fill a bit intimidated after looking at all your work.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:33 PM   #14

oh crap!!!
we scared another one off.. gawd, another sleepless night!!!:G LOL,
looking forward to your images 'bowenp'. have you a name?????

roy
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:50 PM   #15

I feel the same way - thesefolks are excellent photographers. However, I've been studying their work and am getting better. Hang in there, and remember - all this is fun!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:30 AM   #16

Yea name: Bowen Phelps.

I will post, but give me a little time. My current skills are very weak. Take lots of Kodak moments perfect for the family and those that love us but, not so great from an art perspective.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:02 AM   #17

Bowenp, as I have mentioned previously here... if you don't have a card reader or a computer that will except any type of memory cards, purchase a SanDisk SD Ultra II Plus. The card can be folded over and it becomes a USB plug in. I got a 512meg at TigerDirect.com for $37.00 plus shipping... the 1 Gig is just a few bucks more and it is a lot better then using your camera to download and edit. JMHO:-)
snoopy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:21 AM   #18

As for the graphics card, if you are using a Mac a faster card will make Apples program Aperture run much, much faster with a better graphics card, since it does so much image processing all the time.

I realize this was a PC question, but just a bit of info in case anyone is interested.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:42 AM   #19

I'm a new DL owner as well, moving up from the venerable Canon G2.

As far as software goes, the free and open source Gimp is a decent Photoshop alternative. A bit of a learning curve, but fairly intuitive with plenty of web help to get one going. Gimp will also work with Pentax raw files with the UFRaw program/plugin.

Have fun!
jehowe is offline   Reply With Quote