Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:48 AM   #1
TDN

Well, they're not that fantastic, but I had the feeling I had to post something

A snail my little brother found in crawling up the side of our house.

All shot with the kit lens (DA 18-55), mostly at the 55mm end.

Also I gave adobeRGB a shot instead of sRGB, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but the colors seem more natural...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:47 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

TDN, Good composition, but seems a bit soft on the focus. I had this problem with my DL and had to return it to Pentax for recalibration. In spite of the recalibration, there remains a slight back-focusing problem (i.e. at wide open apertures, the camera tends to focus areas behind the main subject). For safety, I now shoot with apertures that provide more depth of field which ensures sharply focused images.

Keep 'em coming! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:09 AM   #3

Oh, interesting comment! I've noticed that the camera isn't always completely accurate when I've been using manual lenses (it beeps when it thinks it's in focus), but thought that might have been my technique (had the sensor on a spot slightly different). I haven't noticed it as much with the auto lenses, though I haven't really tried to capture something like this where the focus/DOF is so difficult.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:30 AM   #4
TDN

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
TDN, Good composition, but seems a bit soft on the focus. I had this problem with my DL and had to return it to Pentax for recalibration. In spite of the recalibration, there remains a slight back-focusing problem (i.e. at wide open apertures, the camera tends to focus areas behind the main subject). For safety, I now shoot with apertures that provide more depth of field which ensures sharply focused images.

Keep 'em coming! Jay
Well I think the problem lies more with me than with the camera though.
some of those are shot with manual focus, and my eyesight isn't too great, and that's an understatement

Also I have shaky hands, and since I've been shooting with a Lumix FZ-3 with stabilization up till I got this ist DL, I still have to get used to shooting without it and paying attention to my breathing etc.

I also have to explore the camera still, figure out all the right settings, and I'm investing in a sharper lens soon

Thanks for the feedback!

TDN

P.S.: How do I get this quoting thing to work right? It always shows up under my post instead of on top...and then I have to copy paste...

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Im not sure if using adobeRGB is all that great to be honest.

I know for a fact that the Frontier minilab at work, (and all the models) will not print any colorspace other than sRGB - and it will convert it to sRGB anyway. So if your getting your images done at a lab that uses fuji frontier, is it really worth taking your photos in the adobergb colour space?
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:12 AM   #6
TDN

Oh, I didn't know that O_o

Well, back to sRGB it is then
(maybe i'll just turn off the "vivid" color tone then)
Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
In spite of the recalibration, there remains a slight back-focusing problem (i.e. at wide open apertures, the camera tends to focus areas behind the main subject).
Make yourself a simple grid & photograph it wide open focusing at the central point with the camera tilted at approximately 45 deg.

This will indicate where the lens actually focuses.

This was done on the *istDS using the Pentax 18-55mmDA lens at 18mm with the aperture set to f3.5.

By my reckoning, it's pretty close to the central position but the-2 looks sharper the the +2 indicating that there's more in focus in front of the focus point than behind - BUT not that much.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote