Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:02 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I wish there was some way to turn off the ACR auto adjustments as a default setting- that's one of the things that irritates me about it. I usually find that it makes things far lighter overall than I want, so I usually look at it, then turn off the auto settings and see what it looks like. I usually like something in between and have better luck adjusting from what it is without ACR telling me what it should be (kind-of like the computer developed print film where the computer averages the light/dark overall on the photo - rather than letting you have a larger, really dark background with a lighter subject that jumps out at you). This is something that really irks me!
H, what are you talking about. i'm using PSCS and i've never had ACR suggest exposure comensation..
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:25 PM   #12

For newbies can you guys define these acronyms ?I will catch on but a bit confused right now.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:38 PM   #13

Nice lines in the pic!

I also evaluated getting a good point and shoot and waiting on buying a digital SLR. My friend who shoots both said you should actually have both. one to have at your side at all time (Point and Shoot). One when you are trying to expand your creativity (DSLR due to its multiple lens and contrail). He uses a Nikon and has the same issue between his Nikon Point and shoot and his Nikon DSLR. He claims, like yours kind of shows, the Point and shoot is designed to show all parts of a picture, not highlight anything. TheDSLR is designed to capture an element in the pic (not sure I believe him .. that is what he says). In yours the Pentax washes away the sign, but really makes the building and shadows pop out.

Hecompared it to the difference between driving a Lexus (nice drive, good performance, ect) and a High-end Porsche (lot more work.. lot more fun).

I choose DSLR, the jury is still out about if I made the right move.

Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:00 PM   #14

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
For newbies can you guys define these acronyms ?I will catch on but a bit confused right now.
Not Sure which Acronyms you are having trouble With. However, the one that Sticks out the most would be "ACR"

This Is Short for Adobe Camera Raw. ACR is Part Of Adobe Photoshop CS( PSCS\PSCS II) & Photo Shop Elements(PSE)

Any others that i can Help you With

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 4:01 PM   #15

thanks
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:24 PM   #16

It's not that ACR suggests it, it just does it. Whenever I open a raw file with ACR, it automatically makes adjustments to the exposure (not color). See below for an example of what it says every time I open a raw file, and if I uncheck it, I'll often get what I wanted, rather than what the program "thought" it should be. I often take pictures of light subjects, sometimes small ones, against dark backgrounds. ACR will often try to make the dark background lighter than I want, which occasionally blows out the light subject. PhotoLab doesn't do that, why I sometimes use it instead of the Adobe program. The upper one is how it will open, the lower one when I un-select auto adjustments. What I really want in the picture is something in between these 2 (most often). I normally find it easier to get what I want from the non-auto version.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:44 AM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I usually like something in between and have better luck adjusting from what it is without ACR telling me what it should be (kind-of like the computer developed print film where the computer averages the light/dark overall on the photo - rather than letting you have a larger, really dark background with a lighter subject that jumps out at you). This is something that really irks me!
I agree. I always give my pics some tweeking (shoot only in RAW) just as I did in the darkroom with my BW's and would have wished that the laboratory would have done with my colour prints. I was nearly always disappointed with the print results, and that was a strong incentive to go digital! Your digital pictures are always tweeked, by you or by the manufacturers engineers!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:10 AM   #18

harriet,
i don't have those options and can't find a place to turn them on or off. i would presume it would be in 'preferences''

roy
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:14 AM   #19

ahh, just checked your (mtngal) exif info on one of your images. you are using cs2, me CS. that's the difference.

roy
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:30 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It's not that ACR suggests it, it just does it. Whenever I open a raw file with ACR, it automatically makes adjustments to the exposure (not color). See below for an example of what it says every time I open a raw file, and if I uncheck it, I'll often get what I wanted, rather than what the program "thought" it should be. I often take pictures of light subjects, sometimes small ones, against dark backgrounds. ACR will often try to make the dark background lighter than I want, which occasionally blows out the light subject. PhotoLab doesn't do that, why I sometimes use it instead of the Adobe program. The upper one is how it will open, the lower one when I un-select auto adjustments. What I really want in the picture is something in between these 2 (most often). I normally find it easier to get what I want from the non-auto version.
If you look at your image of ACR in CS2 you will see "save new camera raw defaults", just check that after you uncheck the auto correct box and you will have a new default.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote