Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:35 PM   #21

Thanks, and I feel kind of dumb - the choice was right there in front of me (duh!). That's what I love about this board - you guys don't mind dumb questions!

Roy - I looked at your screen shot and you were using the drop-down settings menu. If you look next to the drop down arrow you'll see another arrow (going sideways)- that's where you'll see the menu I'd been looking at. I don't think that ACR is different between CS and CS2, assuming that you're using one of the later versions you can download from the Adobe site.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:43 PM   #22

OK ... so if we are into dumb questions ... how do I get to a screen view like those posted here in CS2? I've got all sorts of other menu items showing, but nothing that I can find that approximates what you are showing in your screen captures. I've just got CS2 and really haven't played with it, but I thought I'd see if I could change the defaults as suggested ... but I can't duplicate the views you are using ... what menu itesm need to be enabled/disabled? ... all help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:06 PM   #23

Actually, the screen shots we were showing isn't exactly CS or CS2, it's ACR (Adobe Raw Converter), and this is the screen you will get when you open raw files with it. Have you tried to shoot raw files yet, and convert them with ACR?

I did try to change the camera default settings, but the program still comes up with auto adjustments selected. Guess I need to get into the help program and dig around. This only applies to raw images, not jpg files.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:46 PM   #24

Thanks ... yes, I've been shooting in RAW but using the Pentax software for the conversions. I tend to use Paint Shop Pro after that to resize and such as that's what I'm more used to, but I'd like to get more familiar with Photoshop. Will try to open some of the RAW images with CS2 and see how that works out. I've not done any sharpening or colour manipulation ... just cropping and resizing. Guess there is another whole world out there in which to learn andplay.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:03 PM   #25

I've been using Photoshop for a long time, so it's what I'm used to. The main reason why I tend to use ACR first is that I don't have to save it twice in jpg format - often the Pentax software does a better job of converting the files. Same goes with Neat Image- I used it much of the time when I had the Panasonic FZ30, so I bought the full version and use it as a Photoshop plug-in (don't use it all that much, but occasionally if I'm using ISO 800 or more).

I would suggest (if you can) get a tutorial for Photoshop and work through it so that you can learn the various features. I'm really good with some of them, but tend to do things the same way I did with PS3. I really need to work through a book I bought and have only managed to get through 2 chapters. At least Photoshop isn't like AutoCAD - every time they come out with a new version, they change how to something. I don't use it very often, but every time I do, I get frustrated.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:24 PM   #26

From CS2 Help:

To turn on or off the Auto adjustments in Camera Raw

By default, the Auto check boxes are always selected in the Camera Raw dialog box. You change this default so that all or some Auto check boxes are always unselected.
Do any of the following:
In the Camera Raw dialog box, click the triangle next to the Settings menu and choose Use Auto Adjustments from the Camera Raw menu.
When Use Auto Adjustments is unchecked, all or some Auto check boxes are always unselected. When Use Auto Adjustments is checked, the Auto check boxes are always selected.

Or

Deselect the Auto check boxes, click the triangle next to the Settings menu, and choose Save New Camera Raw Defaults from the Camera Raw menu.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:19 PM   #27

In the Canon A70 shot it looks like the T is not quite in focus but it may just be that I'm tired.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote