Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless-73/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 95468] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-samsung-dslr-k-mount-mirrorless/93192-recovered-thread-95468-a.html)

corvairfan Jun 22, 2006 9:38 AM

I've been playing around a lot with my DL. It seems that in bright sunny days the white balance, contrast and exposure come out really well and the photos don't need that much tweeking, if any, in Photoshop.

But in the shade, with flash and anything else I find I really have to tweek the levels control in Photoshop to brighten up the image and add/remove contrast.

Usually the right hand slider in levels needs to go left which brightens up the image to near perfection.

I shoot normal and +5 on exposure but still needs tweeking to look right.

Color just about always is great though and I do unsharp mask in Photoshop too. Shoot +1 sharpness in camera. Wonder if I went higher in camera if I'd need unsharp mask?

I just find that my Canon A70 gives better exposed shots out of the gate then my Pentax. I feel confident I can print my A70 photos right away if need be but the Pentax just needs tweeking to be right.

I've tried -1 contrast, bracketing, I shoot in natural mode.

While I love the camera and even shot some moving bikes and motorcyles in daylight with autofocus and it was fast enough but just the exposures seem to need tweeking in anything but bright sunlight.

How can the A70 be better at exposure than a DSLR?

Ron C Jun 22, 2006 1:36 PM

You need +5 exposure compensation? Do you mean +0.5? I don't have a DL but my DS only goes to +-2.0 for dial-in exposure compensation. If you really need 5 stops of exposure compensation just by moving onto the shade, something is wrong.

corvairfan Jun 22, 2006 2:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes .05. 5.0 would be a problem wouldn't it.

Here is an example of a shot I shot on a Canon A70 on a sunny morning at 8:30am ISO 50, auto white balance. 1/250 at 4.8

corvairfan Jun 22, 2006 2:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a different morning, same time 8:30 am with the DL. Program mode put it at less than 1/250 of a second at 9.0?? f stop. ISO 200. White balance sunny day.

Now this was converted with no changes from RAW.

Metering on the cameras were different but it was interesting to note that even later in the day the T sign was still not as bright as the Canon's.

Someone will say...hey the Pentax looks great just the metering was off. Colors look great don't they? Love the detail and edge to edge sharpness. Just what I want in a camera.

I just have to do some tweeking and pay more attention to exposure. Just wierd how the Canon is insanely forgiving. Maybe that's why it is called point and shoot. LOL.

Jun 22, 2006 3:05 PM

pentax in their great wisdom set the d series to under expose by about half a stop to retain the highlight details. at least this is what i've read in many places. i only shoot in raw so all of my images are tweaked to some extent.

roy

philneast Jun 22, 2006 7:53 PM

Magnum photpgrapher David Alan Harvey wrote in the Jan/Feb issue of National Geographic Traveler

" I expose digital for the highlights, letting come of teh image be underexposed. If you blow out the highlights in digital, same as with slides, they're gone." (my added emphais).

So if you slightly inderxpose you get to make the final choice on the ultimate exposure of the image giving you greater creative control.

I f you want point and shoot snaphots that is fine but SLR camersas, both film and digital have usually been the choice of the more serious photographer who demands greater control of the image making process.

Phil

CMotel Jun 24, 2006 11:19 AM

Corvairfan:

I was getting ready to post a similar question regarding my DL flash pictures. I've purchased the (seemingly powerful) Sigma EF-500 DG Super and have been baffled at why the resulting images are dark.

I'm working with Adobe Carmera RAW and notice that ACR wants to bump up the exposure of my indoor shots by about 1.25. I recently used it asa fill-flash to photograph baby birds being fed on my back porch.The scene was inheavily shadowed daylight. Though the flash cast considerable light on the birds,ACR felt the need to bump up exposure by at least 2.00. This was even after I corrected the exposure metering from multi-segment to spot.

Come to think of it, even some overcast photos at a baseball game needed to be bumped up.

With the flash pictures, I've been worried that either the camera or flash have a problem, but Robar's response to your post suggests perhaps not.

I guess I'll try +1.00 exposure compensation on the camera for flash photos and evaluate the results.

Corey

mtngal Jun 24, 2006 11:58 AM

I wish there was some way to turn off the ACR auto adjustments as a default setting- that's one of the things that irritates me about it. I usually find that it makes things far lighter overall than I want, so I usually look at it, then turn off the auto settings and see what it looks like. I usually like something in between and have better luck adjusting from what it is without ACR telling me what it should be (kind-of like the computer developed print film where the computer averages the light/dark overall on the photo - rather than letting you have a larger, really dark background with a lighter subject that jumps out at you). This is something that really irks me!

Catbells Jun 24, 2006 1:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
corvairfan wrote:
Quote:

Here's a different morning, same time 8:30 am with the DL. Program mode put it at less than 1/250 of a second at 9.0?? f stop. ISO 200. White balance sunny day.

Now this was converted with no changes from RAW.

Metering on the cameras were different but it was interesting to note that even later in the day the T sign was still not as bright as the Canon's.

Someone will say...hey the Pentax looks great just the metering was off. Colors look great don't they? Love the detail and edge to edge sharpness. Just what I want in a camera.

I just have to do some tweaking and pay more attention to exposure. Just weird how the Canon is insanely forgiving. Maybe that's why it is called point and shoot. LOL.
The Canon shot looks overexposed. Editing the Pentax shot in PS using adjust Shadows/Highlights brings out a certain amount of detail in the shadows without over exposing the highlights.

ennacac Jun 24, 2006 1:49 PM

The Canon shot has blown highlights, which can not be fixed, while the Pentax shot has detail in the shadows which can easily be retrieved, so I see the Canon with the problem not the Pentax.

That is one of the joys of using the D series Pentax, you rarely get blown out highlghts, so even if you use jpg mode, your images rarely need any work other than midrange contrast changes.

Tom