Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:20 PM   #1

With all due respect to Ira, I sold my Sigma 24-135 (a fine, serviceable lens for me) and bought a Tamron 28-300. My only complaint about the Sigma was the lens creep when looking downward or while holding the camera by the neck strap. The Tamron has a lock which I think I will like better, and the extra reach is a bonus.Did learn this morning that the extra reach means I need carrymy tripod or monopod more often.

Regards,

Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:29 PM   #2

Hey, if I had been able to get a new 28-300mm for the price I paid for the 24-135mm I would have done it. Great shots, super sharp.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:36 PM   #3

KEH was generous, and Cameta Camera was offering a price that made the swap just about even. You and I have talked to each other and with others about the Sigma lens, and I repeat that it was a good one for me, but I am looking forward to some of the other options the Tamron offers.

Here's one I posted on another forum, but thought you might to see it, too.

Regards, Lawrence

Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:35 PM   #4

All very nice - you've got a good handle on the lens, and love the cat!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:30 AM   #5

Neat shoots, Lawrence! I've got a Tamron af 70-300 ld that I found on Ebay that I just fell for as I as started using ... in fact, it's the lens that spends the most time on my dl. It really does help to keep it on a tri or mono or it is possible to shoot without. My Sigma 170-500 on the other hand ...forget about it. Tripod only!!! I just got it a couple of weeks ago (Ebay again... that place is the devil ... but it was a good deal) & if you try to hold it, you get shutter shake from your heartbeat. By the way, I know what you mean about not having a lock on the Sigma, that is my only complaint about that lens.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:33 AM   #6

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask ... how do you like your monopod, out of curiousity??? My brother had one once & let me borrow it & I just wasn't sure if I would like one for myself.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:53 AM   #7

i've got a manfrotto 679b ($40) and a cheap(but ebay good, $13)(oops:edit)(ball head)and it works great. doesn't close up very short but it's a cheapy.. recently did the zoo and it helped a lot using it with the 70-300.

roy
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:43 AM   #8

My monopod is a slightly heavy good-brand copy I got off ebay for about $60 or $75. Adorama, perhaps, don't remember, but I like the feel, the support, and the use of it much better than the light weight cheap one I had for years. My tripod is a heavy one, too, but I like using it on days when I don't plan to do a lot of walking . . . like setting up in the meadow at Estes Park, CO, when the elk gather. As shaky as I am, gotta use one or other.

Regards, Lawrence
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:13 AM   #9

when i'm using my macro rig i use a piece of 1/2'' pvc pipe. i grasp it and the grip's handle in the left hand. height adjustment is real easy. you just let it slip thru your hand.

roy
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:15 AM   #10

Roy, you have more good ideas! Thanks for the tip.

Regards, Lawrence