Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:22 PM   #21

We ARE a happy lot - with cameras like ours it's easy to be satisfied (spoken by a formerly unhappy FZ30 owner). Somehow Pentaxians just doesn't capture the true feeling.

I like this forum because there's a good mix of equipment advice, software help and picture taking suggestions, along with an education in plant and insect identification. It's interesting and fun to learn about different parts of the world (loved the discussion of the word "buzzard"). While we seem to be various ages and come from all over the world, we seem to have similar interests (nature and scenery being big ones).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 2:29 PM   #22
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
We ARE a happy lot - with cameras like ours it's easy to be satisfied (spoken by a formerly unhappy FZ30 owner). Somehow Pentaxians just doesn't capture the true feeling.

I like this forum because there's a good mix of equipment advice, software help and picture taking suggestions, along with an education in plant and insect identification. It's interesting and fun to learn about different parts of the world (loved the discussion of the word "buzzard"). While we seem to be various ages and come from all over the world, we seem to have similar interests (nature and scenery being big ones).

You were unhappy with the FZ30? I for one still love my little FZ-3...not a big megapixel-canon, but I loved the versaility and possibilities. Especially with that wonderful (dare I say it?) Leica lens...

I agree with the arguments here though, photography isn't about who has the most expensive, most feature-packing camera.
It's about taking what you got, and try to capture what's in your head with it!

Nonetheless it's always important to do some research before you buy anything though, to make sure you don't end up with total-loss stuff. But there's a lot of good stuff out there, and you'd be amazed what great things you can accomplish without spending a fortune.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:08 PM   #23

TDN wrote:
Quote:
You were unhappy with the FZ30? I for one still love my little FZ-3...not a big megapixel-canon, but I loved the versaility and possibilities. Especially with that wonderful (dare I say it?) Leica lens...
It's interesting that you asked me why I was unhappy with the FZ30 at the same time there's a thread going on about the possibility of a 12 or 18MP camera. The FZ30 has too many pixels for the sensor in my opinion. Its limited dynamic range and noise above 200 ISO don't do justice to it's excellent lens. I used to have some photos on Photobucket comparing my 3 year old (and problematic) Sony F717 with the FZ30, and the Sony's photos were consistently better than the Panasonic's pictures. I didn't think the Fuji was any better, and so gave up the fixed lens line (very reluctantly, I might add) for the Pentax, with it's outstanding 6 MP pictures.

I'm rather glad I didn't have something like the FZ-3 (fewer megapixels)- I might not have wanted to get a dSLR and would have missed out on all the fun I'm having the my DS!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:40 PM   #24

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

I like that name...Pentaxians!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:48 PM   #25

I enjoy my Pentax ist DS very much but it just did not cut it when it comes to sports shooting. I get a handful of good pictures in comparison to my other camera.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:36 PM   #26

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I enjoy my Pentax ist DS very much but it just did not cut it when it comes to sports shooting. I get a handful of good pictures in comparison to my other camera.
you're all over the forums but mainly in panasonic. you have two D series bodies. what's the problem with the pentaxs. please don't get me wrong. i don't shoot action but i'm curious as to what you are comparing it to. i'm sure others are too. could you post some shots as to whats better and whats worse.
i'm asking this not as a barb, please do not take it that way. i'm truly interested because i've gotten some pretty good shots at dog meets.

roy
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:41 AM   #27
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm rather glad I didn't have something like the FZ-3 (fewer megapixels)- I might not have wanted to get a dSLR and would have missed out on all the fun I'm having the my DS!
Nah, a DSLR will always be different. For me, it's the sound of that mirror clapping up and down that does it

What I do love about those Lumix series is how dynamic they are. You've got a lens on there that'll do anything! (also their small size makes them easy to sneak into concerts and other "no camera's allowed"-places , and you still have enough zoom range to get up to the stage.)
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:48 AM   #28

robar wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
you're all over the forums but mainly in panasonic. you have two D series bodies. what's the problem with the pentaxs. please don't get me wrong. i don't shoot action but i'm curious as to what you are comparing it to. i'm sure others are too. could you post some shots as to whats better and whats worse.
i'm asking this not as a barb, please do not take it that way. i'm truly interested because i've gotten some pretty good shots at dog meets.

roy
Roy,

Posting examples between cameras is not the issue. The write speed of the Pentax and the continous shooting is what I am comparing in my experience to the Nikon D200. I sold the lot of cameras I had. I have the Panasonic FZ1v2 for infra red shooting, Canon A 620 as my all around easy to take along and thePentax ist DS.

I just simply get more shots with the Nikon than the Pentax when it comes to action shots which is what I generally like to shoot.

I used to post herewith little or no comment so I just print what I shoot and show it to family, friends, co-workers. Works for me.

I do enjoy my Pentax and love the fact its noise level can't be beat by any camera out there.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:03 PM   #29

vlZnquest        I've enjoyed Pentax cameras for years and bought an istDL in April and I understand your statement about sports photography. I've shot football and baseball with both my DL and the Rebel XT and the Rebel is just faster than the Pentax. It cycles through pictures quicker and focuses quicker. I've found ways to compensate and still gotten great sports shots with the Pentax, but it is a bit more work.  If I shot more sports, I might want that Cannon or even Nikon, but for what I do, and the equipment I carry, Pentax has always done what I need to do. I do enjoy the pics on this forum though. We all just seem th enjoy taking good pictures and testing the limits of our cameras.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:35 AM   #30

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Roy,

Posting examples between cameras is not the issue. The write speed of the Pentax and the continous shooting is what I am comparing in my experience to the Nikon D200. I sold the lot of cameras I had. I have the Panasonic FZ1v2 for infra red shooting, Canon A 620 as my all around easy to take along and thePentax ist DS.

I just simply get more shots with the Nikon than the Pentax when it comes to action shots which is what I generally like to shoot.

I used to post herewith little or no comment so I just print what I shoot and show it to family, friends, co-workers. Works for me.

I do enjoy my Pentax and love the fact its noise level can't be beat by any camera out there.

i hav eto agree with you here. pentax does need to work on their write speeds.. shooting raw, i , even have a problem at times..

roy