Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:45 PM   #1

Took these today in the field down the road as the sun was getting low in the sky.

ISO 400-DS-f/5.6-1/125sec-300mm FA*

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:02 AM   #2

tom,
seems like you live in a virtual zoo.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

Excellent.

Question - why the "blueish" tint or is it my eyes?
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:53 AM   #4

It was late afternoon, early evening and they were standing in the deep shade by some trees, which gave the blue tint to the dark portion of the images.

Deer are actually a pest here and a serious road hazard.

Tom

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Excellent.

Question - why the "blueish" tint or is it my eyes?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5

Here is the original shot without using a color changing photo filter.

Here is the photo with a 81A photo filter applied to it, which is a warming filter that was used on film cameras to get rid of blue color in deep shade in the late afternoon.

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:04 PM   #6

What a different world we all have! Our deer population is fairly small near where I live. In the fall sometimesthere are more hunters in the area than there are deer, especially if one or more of the other national forests are closed due to fire danger. Whichever is open will honor licences from the other areas.

You have brought up a Photoshop question for me. I've seen the various filters listed in CS2, and have played around with them a bit. My problem is that they list the effects by filter number, like you did (using the 81A designation) but have something like 3 different ones listed as "warming." They all have slightly different effects and I can't tell which one to use when (never got involved in photography enough when I was shooting film). I've had a couple of pictures where I tried all the filters listed in photoshop and couldn't figure out which ones to use. Is there a web site that would list the filters by number and when they are used?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:43 PM   #7

Your deer, at least the ones by Calistoga, are also much smaller than ours and seem to be some kind of Mule Deer variation, sunce they run/bounce like Mule Deer, instead of the White Tail Deer we have here.

The higher the number the more the warming effect and the slider bar at the bottom of the filter box allows you to increase the amount the filter changes the image. Just play with them and choose the effect that you like is the best way to learn how to use them.

I used the 81 instead of the 85 because I didn't feel I needed the extra colod the 85 gave the image.

The filters in CS are designed for digital images and the same filters used on the lens, like you would on a film camera, don't work the same as they did with film.

Tom
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:11 AM   #8

Looks like he has some potential this November, Tom! Do me a favor & find him in about 6 months when that velvet is gone:G!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote