Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Okay took some pictures with my new *ist DL and had some questions for the forum:

1) What have you found is the biggest jump you had to make from film to digital in order to take advantage of this new way of photography and make the most of your equipment?

2) With no shake reduction system how should I handle a big Zoom (300mm). What settings have you found that creates the best balance between speed and detail.

3) Having some issues with blur. In addition having some Too bright skin tones when using the flash any hints. Do I need to go to detached flash?

4) Last one – If I could spend $150 more dollars should I buy a used Manuel lens (50MM 1.4 kinda stuff) and addtional card , Promaster flash or better tripod set-up.

Thanks for the opinions folks.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:08 AM   #2

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
Okay took some pictures with my new *ist DL and had some questions for the forum:

1) What have you found is the biggest jump you had to make from film to digital in order to take advantage of this new way of photography and make the most of your equipment?
using the delete key. you get to take multiples just in case
2) With no shake reduction system how should I handle a big Zoom (300mm). What settings have you found that creates the best balance between speed and detail.
300mm is about the limit. use fast shutter
3) Having some issues with blur. In addition having some Too bright skin tones when using the flash any hints. Do I need to go to detached flash?
blur=cam movement, shoot faster speed. detached flash? sure is nice but for auto , quite expensive on the DL.. no TTL
4) Last one – If I could spend $150 more dollars should I buy a used Manuel lens (50MM 1.4 kinda stuff) and addtional card , Promaster flash or better tripod set-up.
that would be up to you. i only know of 3 companys that make P-TTL flashes. metz, sigma, pentax. all others are manual
Thanks for the opinions folks.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3

Interesting questions. These are just my opinions:

1) I didn't go straight from film to a dSLR, I used a Sony F717 for 3 years. The biggest "adjustment" - advantage - I found was being able to adjust the white balance. I've rarely felt the need to do that with the Pentax, it does pretty well on its own. The biggest thing I use with the DS over a ME is to be able to review my picture and make changes to settings etc. right there, maximizes my chances of getting a good picture (especially using a manual lens where I sometimes forget to push the AE-L button to meter).

2) I don't own anything longer than 200mm. For anything longer I'd need a really fast shutter speed and/or a tripod. But I briefly had an FZ30 and discovered that even with IS I rarely could manage a clear photo at max zoom without a tripod.

3) I'm not the best person to answer this one - I avoid flash as much as possible, and have little experience with it. There's settings in the menu where you can adjust the brightness of the flash. I haven't played with it yet, but I used to keep the Sony set at it's lowest setting. Right after I got the camera I took some flower photos with the onboard flash and just used a piece of vellum over the flash to soften the light. It worked OK for the flowers but wouldn't be great for faces - onboard flash by its very nature tends to flatten a 3D image by taking away the shadows.

4) Lenses depend on what you like to photograph, and what lenses you already have. I like my M 50mm 1.4 but don't use it much at the moment. An additional card is a great idea, it's one of the first things I would buy. The one thing I keep thinking about getting is a monopod - I have a tripod that I bought years ago for a video camera that is very heavy. I also have a lovely stainless steel tripod that was purchased (I suspect) by my grandfather in the 50s. It's beautifully made, has the smoothest workings of any tripod I've looked at and weighs something like 4 times as much as the video one I bought. Guess what stays in a leather case in the closet. So look at what you are willing to carry - don't get a tripod that you won't take with you (same goes with flash).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:09 PM   #4

Everyone else has answered your First three Questions fairly well. If it was me, i would Not get the lense(kit lense is great to get your feet wet). I would definately Get More memory and Extra batterys. Never know when they Will die.
IMHO Worry about the tripod/lenses/Flash later.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 2:24 PM   #5

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
Using the reciprocal of the focal length is a good rule of thumb BUT remember that that 300mm is equivalent to 450mm in digital terminology so set the shutter to 1/500S.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote