Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:33 PM   #1

Got a call today from a friend in the business. He was spot on with the info regarding the lastreveal on the K100 earlier.

September will see the release of the Pentax (believed to be the K10D) whichwas supposed to be a10 mp, will apparently now havea Samsung 12mp sensor and shortly after they will be releasing a 18mp super body.

Now I am excited:| That will definately put Nikon an Canon on the back foot.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:10 AM   #2

The 18mp is the MF 645D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:32 AM   #3

I can't wait.

Give it to the Canon's and Nikons I say!
brasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:51 AM   #4

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Now I am excited:| That will definitely put Nikon an Canon on the back foot.
Don't fool yourself, their ego will rise above whatever Pentax does.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:35 AM   #5

Tom

I said the same thing that the 18mp was the 645 format, apparently the 645 format is going to be different again and the 18mp super body will be the 35mm slr format that we have now.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:20 AM   #6

Hi,
So there are going to be two new cameras?One with 12M and another with 18M?Both APS? And of course MF with more than 18M pixels?
Is it new Samsung sensor or developed with co-operation with another firm? Maybe re branded Sony from D2x?
Alek
akozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7

But there is so much more to a DSLR than Pixel count. I have owned Canon EOS digitals and Pentax from the start. I currently have a D60 and a Rebel XT, along with Pentax D, DS, and DL. Though the pixel count on the Pentaxes and the D60 are a couple million less, the difference in image quality is simply not there. In fact my Pentaxes consistently have less noise than the Rebel XT. I'm glad for the coming of the new camera are will be looking at it very closely, but I will admit I'm more excited about the ned D100 with antishake for not much more than I paid for my DL than I am the new camera in the fall.
David Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:00 PM   #8

I find it hard to believe that a 18mp sensor in APS size will not be extremely noisy at high ISO and if so, it will not be a big seller over the present 6mp sensors, especially with SR in the K100D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:37 PM   #9
TDN

I just don't understand why Pentax doesn't come up with a nice 8mp prosumer.

8 mp is about the point where you can't tell a picture was shot in digital or film anymore.

With 6 MP you'll still be able to tell if you zoom in enough...(only slightly though)

I personally would have loved the K100D to have 8mp (350D), AF assist (D50), shake reduction and automatic sensor cleaning (Minolta)...that and the features already on the DS/DL would suit every need I could possibly imagine.

Combined with the excellent optics pentax available for and by pentax, they'd be market leader in no time.

Nonetheless, I've still got enough to discover about my DL before I'm ready to take a next step, so Pentax, you have time...lol

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:32 AM   #10

Hi
Any more info about these cameras? Are they going to have 12& 18M pixels respectively?What about the prices?
Are you sure that 18M is not 645D?
Greetings
Alek
akozak is offline   Reply With Quote