Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:12 AM   #11

As I said before, the AF500FTZ is only able to use all of its features with the MZ-S and PZ-1P film cameras. It will work with the DS in TTL mode, but many its nice features will not work properly.

That said, I would not pay the higher price for the AF500FTZ since its many nice features will not function properly or at all with your DS. It will work as a TTL simple flash, and it has the most power of all the Pentax camera mount flashes available, along with a swivel head.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:17 AM   #12

i thought you had the DL as well./ if you go to ebay search for , pentax ttl, i got one that worked geat for $10 delivered. it worked great until i took it apart to move the flash head to a custom mount and i shorted it out. bidding on another now.. actually , listen to tom. me, i'd get the sigma 500 super.

roy
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:39 PM   #13

Another vote here for the Sigma EF-500 series. I personally Have the DG model. I did not feel the need for all the extras on the EF-500 SUPER.

bk
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:22 PM   #14

hello everyone.

Thanks again for all your comments. sorry, i should have let you all know what camera i had earlier.

So you are saying that i can get by with a 280t instead of going for the 360? this is very interesting from a monetary standpoint but i'm still skeptical about it. I was thinking about going with a modern flash so as to insure compatibility with my DS and have access to all the features it has availible (even tho i'm not sure i will use them). the 280t seems to be an older flash tha t just happens to work with the DS but can it match it for automatic features?

for instance, the 360 can set subject to flash distance (or measure it, not sure what the right term is) automatically? it can vary light output depending on what kind of exposure compensation you dial in? it can be used while zooming and changing focal length? can be used in more apperature many more diff aperature settings? can the 280 do all this or do i have to lookup charts on the back of it and push a bunch of old school buttons? can it match the 360 for output power and feature set?

ive been reading about flashes and its kinda confusing. the 280 i assume is a great learning flash but i need a good dedicated flash unit in about a month for a formal indoor banquet that i am shooting volunterally and dont want to be fumbling around with my flash.

Thanks for any more info you can supply.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
My advice: go with 280T as your dslr can also handle ttl which is a lot cheaper. eBay usually have that at around $40-60.
We all thought you had DL which can only handle p-ttl.
All previous advice from various parties are not that relevant.
I have both and I can tell you 280T is rock solid performer giving fool-proofing performance, let me say, for decade. There are other TTL flash too and they are really inexpensive which is why your camera is more expensive than DL.

Daniel

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
woops! sorry.
istDS
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:24 PM   #15

yes, i had someone at a local store fire up the 500 with a ds and it overflashed everything it was taking. the automatic controls were working.
it s a shame cuz i see so many of them selling used and it seems like a better flash than the 360 but it seems to only fully work with the istD

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
As I said before, the AF500FTZ is only able to use all of its features with the MZ-S and PZ-1P film cameras. It will work with the DS in TTL mode, but many its nice features will not work properly.

That said, I would not pay the higher price for the AF500FTZ since its many nice features will not function properly or at all with your DS. It will work as a TTL simple flash, and it has the most power of all the Pentax camera mount flashes available, along with a swivel head.

Tom
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:38 PM   #16

so would any of these also be good for the ds?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.ca/REPLACEMENT-DIGIT...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vivitar-Digital-F...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VIVITAR-SERIES-1-...QQcmdZViewItem

anyone have any of these or know about their performance?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:43 PM   #17

i would love to get one of these but am having a hard time finding the on ebay or sold locally. one seller who is selling these has mounts for nikon, canon, minolta for something like $144 but then the pentak mount is $249??? whats up with that?
the only other seller i've noticed is based in hong kong :sad:

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Another vote here for the Sigma EF-500 series. I personally Have the DG model. I did not feel the need for all the extras on the EF-500 SUPER.

bk
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:12 PM   #18

Hi Adigitalman

Not sure were you are located, but I got mine on-line. You can get Either the DG or Super from B&H or Sigma4less. Both excellent places to Purchase.
On Sigma4less the Pentax mount DG lists for $139, the Super $214. Try goggling Both

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:07 AM   #19

I'm in Canada and whatever i buy in the states that is over $40cad is heavily hit with fees by the nice folks at customs. So ebay is really what i'm looking at. But thanks for the links, those two sites are really good for sigam flashes; even cheaper than whats on ebay.

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Hi Adigitalman

Not sure were you are located, but I got mine on-line. You can get Either the DG or Super from B&H or Sigma4less. Both excellent places to Purchase.
On Sigma4less the Pentax mount DG lists for $139, the Super $214. Try goggling Both

BK
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:12 PM   #20

got any friends in the states that would be willing to ship it to you??? If we can go to your country for prescriptions, you should be able to come to ours for flashes!:GI was very satisfied w/ sigma4less ...both with customer service & shipping & product. I got the sigma ef500dg st (not super) for around $135 +ship.

Good Luck

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote