Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:37 AM   #1

hello.
this will be my first external flash unit and 1st foray into flash photography (after so many years using ambient lighting) . would appreciate any suggestions of which one to go with for a ist ds.

How does these 2 compare with each? what features should i be looking for for all round versatility? this being my 1st external flash Im unsure of what feature set to look for. In short term i need to photograph some indoor sporting events and would like to know which flash will improve action shots taken with a 28-200zoom being handheld?

later on i would like to use it for intimate portrait work or candid people pics. bottom line is, i would like a exernal flash that is verstaile enough to allow easy adjustments that would make pictures look more natural (as if no flash was present).

any help would be appreciated, thanks

ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 5:57 AM   #2

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
hello.
this will be my first external flash unit and 1st foray into flash photography (after so many years using ambient lighting) . would appreciate any suggestions of which one to go with for a ist ds.

How does these 2 compare with each? what features should i be looking for for all round versatility? this being my 1st external flash Im unsure of what feature set to look for. In short term i need to photograph some indoor sporting events and would like to know which flash will improve action shots taken with a 28-200zoom being handheld?

later on i would like to use it for intimate portrait work or candid people pics. bottom line is, i would like a exernal flash that is verstaile enough to allow easy adjustments that would make pictures look more natural (as if no flash was present).

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Did you mean AF540?
I asked the same question after getting AF360.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18500133
There is a consensus that 540 is a better flash. The only thing you have to consider is if it justifies the higher price.
I have another manual older flash 280T which is perfectly fine in manual mode.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:12 AM   #3

or the sigma 500 super
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:06 AM   #4

I do know that the Sigma EF500 Super has high speed sync which you will need if you are going to to do indoor sports photography.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:54 PM   #5

The AF500FTZ is only able to use all of its features with the MZ-S and PZ-1P film cameras. It will work with the DS in TTL mode, but many its nice features will not work properly.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:36 PM   #6

there is the new pentax540 tho.
personally, i'd go for the sigma super..

roy
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:40 AM   #7

thank you for all your responses!
i will probably be going with the 360fg, since it seems to be the only widely availible pentax flash on ebay. can someone tell me what are the 360 dimensions and it's max sync speed. i wish this flash had a swivel head tho.

I would like to get one of the mentioned sigma flashes as they seem to be a lot more affordable and powerful but online (ebay) its hard to find ANYONE sellling them. the only person so far was someone in china or something.

am i giving up any essential flash features by not getting the 540? since this is my 1st flash, i really dont know what features are important to which ones i wont use, but the infra red capabilities seem really nice for remote shooting on the 360.

has anyone had much success with vivitar or 'no name' flashes made for pentax? i notice quite a few online and was wondering if someone can verify these flashes useability with any of the pentax digital slr series. how many functions still remain operable?

Thanks for the help
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:43 AM   #8

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
thank you for all your responses!
i will probably be going with the 360fg, since it seems to be the only widely availible pentax flash on ebay. can someone tell me what are the 360 dimensions and it's max sync speed. i wish this flash had a swivel head tho.

I would like to get one of the mentioned sigma flashes as they seem to be a lot more affordable and powerful but online (ebay) its hard to find ANYONE sellling them. the only person so far was someone in china or something.

am i giving up any essential flash features by not getting the 540? since this is my 1st flash, i really dont know what features are important to which ones i wont use, but the infra red capabilities seem really nice for remote shooting on the 360.

has anyone had much success with vivitar or 'no name' flashes made for pentax? i notice quite a few online and was wondering if someone can verify these flashes useability with any of the pentax digital slr series. how many functions still remain operable?

Thanks for the help
ardigitalman,

I think you should let us know what camera you have or about to have. You should match your flash function with those of the camera.

Daniel
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:17 AM   #9

woops! sorry.
istDS
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:04 AM   #10

My advice: go with 280T as your dslr can also handle ttl which is a lot cheaper. eBay usually have that at around $40-60.
We all thought you had DL which can only handle p-ttl.
All previous advice from various parties are not that relevant.
I have both and I can tell you 280T is rock solid performer giving fool-proofing performance, let me say, for decade. There are other TTL flash too and they are really inexpensive which is why your camera is more expensive than DL.

Daniel

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
woops! sorry.
istDS