Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:45 AM   #1

Hi:

I'm new to the forums here but I've been checking out Steve's DigiCams photo of the day for years. It's truly inspiring to see what others can do.

Thanks to the multitude of postings by so many here, I've selected a Sigma EF-500 DG ST for my istDL. As easy a choice as that appears to be, now I'm trying to figure out exactly which P/N do I need. I doubt I'd ever need the few extra features, and the extra cost, of the Super. Now to select the correct Part Number of the several availalbe for the EF-500 SG.

Sigma For Less lists their#: SGEF500STPX, Mfr #: 159109, UPC #: 085126922535 for $135 USD and they'll ship to me here in Canada. Their URL is: http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...EF500STPX%3D29

Can anyone help me confirm that this is the flash I shouldbuy for the istDL? The flash is listed as having P-TTL operation.

Cheers from a somewhat soggy Maritimes.

Marcel
Fusilier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:19 PM   #2

Hi Marcel

I'm no expert on flashes, but as long as it is P-TTL it should be fine according to what I've read on other posts to this list. You might want to get confirmation from others, but this flash should be fine.

From about to be equally wet Ontario ... Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:42 PM   #3

marcel,
welcome to the board!! monza(ira) is up in your area.. he's out of town right now tho.

as far as the flash goes--- get the super for sure if you can afford it.. even if you think right now that you don't need the advanced features who knows what you will think next year.. it's on my list for my next major purchase.. just for the high speed sync is worth the extra $$$$..
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:49 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use the DG Super and have had good results with it. I really did not need the Super, but I sleep better at night knowing I have all the bells and whistles!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:49 PM   #5

Roy, you are more knowledgeable than I am on this, but was there not something on a earlier thread about the Super not being compatible with the DL ... or you could not use all the features, so that the flash Marcel is looking at was the best buy. Or have I got things mixed up?

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:17 PM   #6

mike, from what i've read the super is completely compatible with the ist series because it's P-TTL. i think you are thinking of the thread where someone was asking about the PENTAX 500. some of it's features will not work but the newer pentax 540 will work. i think it's 100usd more than the sigma 500 super..
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:22 PM   #7

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
Roy, you are more knowledgeable than I am on this, but was there not something on a earlier thread about the Super not being compatible with the DL ... or you could not use all the features, so that the flash Marcel is looking at was the best buy. Or have I got things mixed up?

Cheers, Mike
mike,
this thread.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
it's really a shame pentax dropped TTL in the DL.. there are so many older flashes out there that will work fine on the D & DS but not on the DL. i just fried one and it didn't taste too good. fortunately it was a $10 flash.

roy
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:14 PM   #8

Roy, here is the thread I was thinking of:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Perhaps the information provided by Crashman is now out of date? It was posted back on 18 March?

Cheers, Mike
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:21 PM   #9

mgedit wrote:
Quote:

Cheers, Mike

I am using the Super on my DL and can confirm it is compatible. For everybody's benefit here are links to Sigma's compatibilty charts. Pentax is listed at the bottom of each. Your 'End' key will save scrolling through those brands wedon't care to see. :-)

ELECTRONIC FLASH EF-500 DG SUPER ( PA-PTTL Pentax)

ELECTRONIC FLASH EF-500 DG ST ( PA-PTTL Pentax)
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:42 PM   #10

From a DL users point of view, they are both the same except the Super allows you to have high speed sync (HSS) to flash.

The other feature that the Super has, Wireless flash, does not work with the DL.

So unless you are specifically wanting HSS, get the DG. Personally I haven't felt the need for that mode yet, but I suppose if you are wanting to do flash fill and maybe indoor sports photography, then yu will want the HSS ability.

From what I understand the prices are almost the same

DG model $270.25 Aus ($198.30 US)
Super Model $322.00 Aus ($236.23 US)

:|:|:|
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote