Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

Next week I will have some good bird shooting opportunities. Besides patience... what tips do you have for getting bird photos with my *ist DL (and the Tamron 28-300 I will have by then). Should I use a tripod or go handheld? What kind of camera settings should I be using (I am starting to get good with manual).

Thanks... Travis
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2
TDN

Tripod!

You'll be shooting at the tele-end of your lens a lot, so a tripod really helps.

It'll help a lot, mainly due to the fact that you can get slower shutter speeds (especially for "sitting ducks" )

For flying birds it's probably easier handheld, but then you'll need a lot of light and fast shutter.

A tripod always comes in handy when you're out in nature, so definitly take one along! (a light & compact tripod is easier to carry though...)

Have fun! I personally love bird photgraphy, you always come home with some great shots

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:46 PM   #3

I agree with TDN on everything. You definitely want to bring along a tripod even if you don't want to take the time to spread out the legs, you're still more steady than if you hand held it. It's nice if your tripod has "pan" on it... that way if you're trying to catch a bird in flight, you follow along, then get ahead of it & anticipate the shoot (&then hope u got it right, in my case:G).

Also, I like using the "cheater modes" ... I use the landscape for perched birds & motion for inflight but I'm still learning the a/p, t/v, manual, etc.

Good luck,

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 6:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I will use a tripod, and I just bought a monopod today which I will use for following things around... it is amazing how much a monopod will stabalize the camera.

Travis
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:20 PM   #5

Hey Travis ... since you just got a mono, would you let me know after your bird shoot how you like it compared to a tri??? I've been interested in getting one & would like to hear how well you like yours.

Thanks,

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:32 PM   #6

Ron, I should be able to get out tomorrow and find some birds... although any real interesting photos will come after July 8th. I will post some results later.