Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1

Last week, on a Sunday, I was walking through town past a number of closed shops including the local motorcycle shop. The display window was full of the latest best from Japan, Italy, Germany and the USA. Pressed against the glass shading their eyes so they could see inside were what must have been three generations, father, son and grandfather. The son was about 17 and alongside looking very bored and slightly annoyed were their respective female companions! Dangnation and the camera was miles away.:-)
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:46 PM   #2

John - About two weeks ago I was taking some wildflower pics at some property we have. I have a trail that goes to the top of a hill covered with sagebrush and rock. I wanted to check on some flowers near the top, so was walking slowly up the trail looking for flowers.

Right in front of me a fully matureCoyote was coming down the trail and almost ran into me. He was about 20' away when he saw me and I him.We stared at each other for a fraction of a second. He promptly disappeared into the sagebrush. There wasn't even time to get my camera up and take a quick shot, he was gone that quick. What a magnificent animal up close. Once you have looked into those eyes, you never forget them. They have a wild untamed look like a wolf - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:33 AM   #3

At our golf course last week, and had meant to bring along the camera to try to get some duck/frog-type pictures. Of course forgot the camera. On the first hole there was a doe browsing in one of the ditches... that alone would have been great as she was very close. A few minutes later she walked out of the ditch and trailing behind herwas a fawn thatwas no more than12-14 inches tall ... smallest one I've seen in the "wild". I'm sure it was only a couple of days old ... a real missed opportunity. My playing partner that day was a professional photographer ... he didn't have his camera either. Guess it happens to us all!

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:16 AM   #4

Last Sunday I was out taking some shots of flowers and dragonflies. The field I was in butted up against a small woods with a stream running through it. I was right at the edge of the field when I looked up to see a male and female wood duck roosting in a tree. Of course, I had on a "short" lens and couldn't get a shot...
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:42 AM   #5

I was driving in to work about a week ago. It was the first morning without actual down pouring rain in about a week and a half. The time was about a quarter to 8 in the morning and the sun had just cleared the tree tops and was coming down into the grass on the shoulder of the road at about 45 degrees to the horizon. I glanced out of the side window of the car and saw a perfect sun beam, coming in through a break in the trees, lighting a large spider's web in the grass. The spider's web was perfectly covered with water, dew, rain from the night before. Of course I was late for work, had a car pool buddy in the car, and the camera was home.

Less than 1 minute later, I came across the same sort of scene except the sun beam was lighting up no less than a half dozen large spider's webs, all in a small group.

It has been raining pretty much every day since, and the sun is never at the same angle, and the spiders have either gone underground or just aren't spinning like they used to.

Imusthave a thing for spider's webs I guess. I remember another shot I didn't have a camera for. At a local historical grist mill (water wheel driven flour grinding mill), there was a perfect spider's web, perfectly covered with flour/dust from the milling process. The web was tucked in between two roof rafters of old hand hewn wood. I'm tempted to put a small shaker of talc powder to try to recreat the shot sometime.

Cheers,

Marcel
Fusilier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:52 AM   #6

It wasa couple years ago and I was having lunch with a coworker when I looked out the window of the restaurant and saw a truck come around a corner and hit a pedestrian. I feel bad talking about it as a missed photo opportunity but it would have been a rare journalistic opportunity.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:37 PM   #7

One morningseveral months agoI had gone for a Jamba Juice for breakfastand was walking back to the office. Istoppedkitty-corner to a restaurant that has a big picture window at an angle to the corner. There was someone sitting at the table by the window, the early morning light lit him perfectly and he had an interesting face/expression as he was studying the papers in front of him. I've been by that corner cafe a number of times since, but either the light is wrong (June gloom reigns right now) or he hasn't been there (Ido know who he is, and he often has a reason for being around here). Maybe some day I'll catch him.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:04 PM   #8

There is an old computer motherboard and a big hard drive under the seat of my car that handles my commuting music needs. I have thought of adding a camera, even a crummy 'web cam'fitted to the front ofthe car and looking forwardto this to record wherever I drive and maybe traffic indicents. A few months ago a car slowly overtook me then drifted onto the shoulder then suddenly swerved back onto the road to hit the centre concrete dividing wall, it went end over end down the road as pieces of wreckage bounced around my car, the driver was seriously hurt but I believe is OK now. The film would have been something though.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:42 PM   #9

I had to add another one. About 8 years ago I was walking down the Champs Elysees and saw a crowd gathered around a restaurant. I was shooting with a ZX-50 at the time and left it at the hotel because I was already at my quota of night shots and just wanted to walk around and relax. The crowd was there because there was some French movie awards that night and there were several celebrities at the restaurant Foquet's. As we were standing there Clint Eastwood came walking out.The Frenchmanstanding next to me that clued me in on the festivities had no idea who it was until I told him.
jerkules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:40 PM   #10

Whenever I go deer hunting, I try to take a pocket camera with me ... of course, this time I didn't. I was sitting on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi on a beautiful December morning ... chilly not cold! I had on my boots on a young sapling, shotgun on my lap, just sitting there being thankful for a gorgeous day. Then I hear something to my left ...heart starts racing ...Buck Buck Buck ... nope here comes this pretty little fawn! So I decide to see how close she'll come ... the next thing I know she is on the other side of the sapling from me with no clue that I'm there!

It's a picture that will NEVER leave my memory ...mostly because I didn't have my camera :angry:but I learned my lesson & (knock on wood) I haven't been in the woods w/o thus far!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote