Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1

New user of Pentax *ist DL (loving it!!) I'm a tad confused. Reading (maybe way to much) into a couple of posts it sounds like switching lenses often is not good for a DSLR due to the potential of getting the sensor dirty. Sounds like it is ok to switch lenses but not a lot. Hope I am misunderstanding the discussions cause I was hoping to buy other lenses and switch often.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:18 AM   #2

I don't know - I went hiking Saturday and it seemed like just about every photo I took used a lens that I didn't have on the camera at the time (took something like 80 pictures, some macro, some with a 24mm wide angle, a couple with a 50mm 1.4). There wasn't any dust evident on the pictures, so as long as you are careful changing them (put your back to the wind! And have your other lens ready to put on so that you don't leave the camera's innards exposed for very long) you should be fine. I've only had trouble once with dust (careless once, and got caught facing the wind when a big gust came up - almost lost my balance while snowshoeing, did drop the lens cap and barely hung onto the lens), and then all I did was use a hand blower to blow the dust out. Is there a potential for dust? Certainly. Is it going to happen every time you change lenses? Not in my experience, and I change lenses all the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:38 AM   #3

Some people like to keep the one lens on their camera so they minimise the risk of sensor dust contamination.

Obviously everytime you replace/change a lens you are opening the inside area of the camera up to the outside (dusty) world.

I change my lenses several time a day when I am shooting depending on what I am trying to photograph. No one lens can do it all.

Ways to minimise the potential for dust contamination are:

Face camera downwards with lens pointing at your feet when changing lenses, dust falls or floats it doesn't normally rise upwards.

Try to change lenses in calm areas or shielded areas, i.e not facing into a lovely sea breeze or next to a busy highway or worse on the edge of a dirt racing track. Move away and shield your camera with your body.

Have the 2nd lens ready to go straight onto the body to reduce the amount of time you have the camera open.

Get yourself a pocket rocket blower on ebay similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Rocket-A...QQcmdZViewItem

They come in different sizes, I have a large one for home and small one for on the road, just in case.

Give it a good blow out if you get some dust on the sensor or if you have just changed lenses and feel you might want to make sure. Don't forget to activate "Sensor clean" mode in your menu to flip the mirror up.

If you do get dust on the sensor, it will show up on some shots depending on the image. I had some dust and didn't notice it because the shots were all busy backgrounds. It was not until I was doing some sunset shots later that day after changing lenses about 5 times at the beach that I truly noticed it and cleaned the sensor.

If you can't get all the dust off, you might need to take it in for a proper clean by a repairer etc. I am lucky I have had my repairer clean mine as a matter of firendship and he does it on the spot for free and takes him 30 secs.

Don't panic about dust, it is not such a big deal, remember you can photoshop out the odd bit of dust in a photo if you get stuck.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:53 AM   #4

Thanks great feedback. Have been going a bit lens changing crazy so I got a nervous. Does not sound like it is anything that can't be overcome. Any particular test you can do to look for dust. Sounds like shooting one solid color might make the dust stand out?

Anyway I will get a pocket rocket thanks.

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:15 AM   #5

Take a picture of white wall/paper that is evenly light exposed properly. smallest aperture hole i.e f32 then in photoshop do "auto contrast"

Scary :shock:

99% of the time you will never see it in your pics
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:13 AM   #6

i clean mine myself. look for a tut on this site.. it's a good one.
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/mainframe2.aspx

roy
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:23 AM   #7

I have been told that ensuring the camera is turned off helps to discharge any static electricity that may attract dust to the sensor.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 AM   #8

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
I have been told that ensuring the camera is turned off helps to discharge any static electricity that may attract dust to the sensor.
Woops! Posting thing got messed up. Please delete this. Sorry...
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Oh no, it happened again, please delete this... sorry.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
OK: My post...

I have too, but then how do you engage the sensor cleaning mode to flip up the miror?