Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:14 PM   #1

I've had it for a couple of weeks now -- I'm the guy who got the DL with the Tamron 28-300 after asking all of you a boatload of questions.

Of course, I've played with it quite a bit and taken quite a few pictures, but haven't posted any because -- well, none of them really were up to the standards of a lot of what I see around here.

Well, I went down to the Missouri River Bottom yesterday evening, and got this one, which I kind of like:

I have a lot to learn about exposure -- and that's actually part of the reason I am going to love this camera -- the feedback it gives. Shots like this are always hard when you want nice saturation in the sky but still some details in, say, the trees -- which I didn't get. But I'm not so sure that the sillhouetting didn't actually help in this shot anyway.

By the way, you all were right. I do love it!
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:32 PM   #2

A good shot. One thing you can try is bracketing with 1/2 stop increments (the camera does it for you--you just hold down the shutter release button).
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:17 PM   #3

Very nice! I always love a good sunset, and this one is nice just as it is.

There is only so much you can ask a camera to do - the sensor can't see as broad a dynamic range of light as your eye can. So sunsets will always be a compromise. One way to deal with it, if you have Photoshop, is to exposure bracket the scene (the camera can automatically do that) which will (hopefully) expose for both the lights and darks. Then you cut and paste the appropriate sections from the several different exposures to get what you want. Another option is to get a graduated neutral density filter (but that won't necessarily help you with trees on the side of the frame). I don't have one, I've usually hadsome luck with using Photoshop to bring out what I want (either by doing the cut and paste, shooting in raw, using a levels layer to influence part of the photo etc. There are a number of ways to approach it with Photoshop).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:30 PM   #4

I like it. If you had shot it a little bit earlier, the sun might have dominated the scene. This way, the shadows give it kind of a moody effect that lets your eyes wander and wonder what is lurking in the shadows. Good job - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:34 PM   #5

Yes, that is very nice.My DL wears that lens most of the time now.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:49 PM   #6

Nice photo, great composition. My DL is going to have that lens soon...
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:56 PM   #7

Quote:
the sensor can't see as broad a dynamic range of light as your eye can. So sunsets will always be a compromise.
I suspected that might be the case, but I wasn't 100% sure it wasn't just not "knowing" the right film speed/f-stop/shutterspeed combination.

I'm hoping this camera will help me get a better feel for that kind of thing, since it tells you what it used when you shoot in auto mode (and even when you didn't) so you can compare and learn.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:08 PM   #8

I will say that I haven't been disapointed with this lens, the one lens I bought as my "cover most of the bases" lens.It starts at a decentsnap-shot focal length, and has a healthy, hefty telephoto range as well.

I'm sure there will be more lenses in my future, but until thenfor an "everything" lens, this one is going to work out just fine.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

OUTSTANDING phil!!!!! i just know you are grinning over this one. thanx for sharing. problem is you set a benchmark..LOL

roy
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:44 PM   #10

how about sending this to me in it's original size but compressed to under 1meg. i'll host it for you for awhile. email is.
Attached Images