Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:21 PM   #1

In the manual for the kit lens (which I am reading weeks after buying it) it says it can not be used on a film camera. Why? I could not imagine why not...

Thanks... Travis

PS: I just got confirmation that my tamron 28-300 has been shipped (let the LBA begin!)
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:46 PM   #2

This is only a guess but I assume the lens must be physically compatible as far as fitting the mounting is concerned however as the camera sensor is smaller than the film area it may be that the image too is less than the image cast by a film lens.

Hmmm... this raises the thought that current generation 'digital' lenses may not be usable with future digitalcameras if they have a larger sensor..????

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:48 PM   #3

travis,
the kit lens is optimized for the dslr sensor. it's image circle is smaller than a regular 35mm lens. if you put it on a 35mm camera you will get some serious vignetting. also, the kit lens has no aperture ring. ie: you could only use it wide open..

roy
Old Jun 27, 2006, 7:55 PM   #4

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... this raises the thought that current generation 'digital' lenses may not be usable with future digitalcameras if they have a larger sensor..????

well john,
you hit the nail on the head. one reason i'm trying to avoid ''made for digital'' lenses. not optimized for digital but just the ones with the smaller image circle. i'd hate to see pentax go to a full size sensor and all my lenses not work.

roy
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:36 PM   #5

Oh, wow, I forgot about the aperture ring... lol. That is kind of dissapointing to me, considering I have a 35mm pentax.

Thanks for the help.
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:17 PM   #6

I just tried the kit lens on my MZ-S and it couldn't figure out the f/stop, just kept flashing f/27.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:08 AM   #7
TDN

Yeah I'm concerned about that too.

Pentax's advantage has always been compatibility, and with these DA-series, it looks like they're giving up on that...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:15 AM   #8

unless if they come out with a full size sensor with a switch to only use the center of the sensor. but then you would lose a lot of the pixels of the larger sensor
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:59 AM   #9
TDN

Idd.
Quite frankly, I just don't get why they want to make the image circle on lenses smaller.

I mean, doesn't using a 35mm lens on a digital mean you will automatically get better results with regards to vignetting, pincushion, etc, because you have a larger image circle?

And what about that 1.5 magnification of the focal length, that's a great plus. Why would they want to get rid of that?

My guess is that because of the shift of the DSLR market to the regular consumer, the quality will eventually degrade...which is a pity.

Don't get me wrong, I couldnt be more happy that an SLR doesnt cost a fortune anymore, but do we really want to compromise quality for that?

People with a lot of money to spare will always be able to buy high-end, new gear. And the rest of us will find it on ebay
If you ask me, there is no need for a change in the lens system. I just hope the manufacturers will realise that.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:28 AM   #10

TDN wrote
Quote:
And what about that 1.5 magnification of the focal length, that's a great plus. Why would they want to get rid of that?
There is no 1.5 magnification, there is only a 1.5 crop factor!

The focal length stays the same, only the image is cropped because of the sensor being smaller than the area 35mm film covers.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote