Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:02 AM   #21

I'm 41, and I started as a teenager with 110 cameras. Got my first Pentax k1000 in the late 1970s and I still carry around one of those tanks, toughest camera you'd ever want and still the greatest camera ever made for shooting lightning, even better than my DL. I moved up to the zx50, then to the zx60 before buyingÊ the DL in April.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:02 AM   #22

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I began my ride with Pentax when I was 20 (Pentax MZ). I strayed from serious equipment for about 10 years, limiting myself to point and shoot models. I returned to the flock in 2000 when I purchased a Pentax ZX-30 and a Pentax ZX-L (was shooting negatives and slide). My foray into digital started with my Pentax Optio 550 which I still use when carrying the SLR is not convenient. In Nov 2005 I made the switch to the digital SLR (DL). I am a 44 year old Pentaxian and life is good!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:11 AM   #23

Hey TDN & jerkules, don't feel like a rookie or intimidated...we all started somewhere. You're off to a great start with Pentax, and besides, you'll be our age soon enough. :lol:

I'm 44, and after starting as a teenager with an Argus C-3, a GAF Anscomatic, and a Kodak Retina Reflex IV, I saved up and bought a N*kon FM. After a couple of years, I wanted to buy lenses and a motor drive, and realized I could get the same capability and performance, and great lens quality, for much less $ with Pentax. Sold the FM, and bought a Pentax MX and three lenses, which I still have and use.

Went digital a year and a half ago, with a little Kodak P&S, but quickly knew I wanted a DSLR...studied the options, joined this forum, and got a DS2. Just like 25 years ago, Pentax has what I consider the best blend of capability and cost for my needs. And, it's a blast to use 25-year-old lenses on a modern DSLR.

mtngal, congrats on your upcoming anniversary...my wife and I have been married 16 years, and this Father's Day, she got me a FA 80-320mm. It's good to have a supportive photo-spouse, isn't it?

God bless,
Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:48 AM   #24

my photographic interest started with a kodak instamatic
i made filters for it from shirt boxes
my first real camera was a K1000, the salesman back in the mid seventies recomended it for learning about photography (quite rightly too)
i still have a K1000 (the origianl went for a swim and didnt survive)
it still works even after falling to the floor at least twice
and bouncing around in the back of a 4wd on many a camping trip
http://johndolphin.net/photos/details.php?image_id=124
it has black and white film in it at the moment
my initial digital experience was with a couple of fujis
but i wanted more control
the ist ds came down in price
so that is what i use now
with the old k1000 lenses

oh
i am 50, and guessing i will be for a few years
lol

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:23 AM   #25

I'm 42. (The answer to everything)

I started on a Konica TC? or T4 when it broke I started using an old Pentax K1000 that my wife had but never used because she could never get it loaded correctly and was tired of developing blank rols of film.

After several years of digital cameras I got tired of the extreme autofocus and shutter lags and got the IST DL.
PapaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:43 PM   #26

Hi,

A Pentax SLR user for over 30 years. Now ready to step into the Dslr world. While I have looked at the Canon Rebel(terribly over priced ) and Nikon, niether were impressive.

I decided on a Pentax DSLR. The Pentax is just the best choice for me.

Everyone on this forum has been a source of great information and great pics.

Thank you for helping making an easy decison easier.

By the way 54 years young.
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:53 PM   #27

Got my first Spottie to take pictures of my soon to be born daughter in 1967. They're both still going strong. (She uses an Optio 550.)

Looking at what I have, I guess it's been a new body every 10 years or so. Followed the SP with a KX, later an MX, then a SuperProgram, a Z-1 and most recently an *istD. All of these also work.

It's nice to see that the original lenses for the SP work the same way (other than the 1.5 multiplier) on all the others. Of course, none of the later ones is truly better than the original. Just more bells and whistles.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:20 PM   #28

My first experience with Pentax was in the late 1950's. I used a lot of their SLR's and point and shoot cameras. I have a DS and love the Pentax line. Now its time for a 10+mp DSLR from Pentax, and recouping some of that past glory.

As for me I'm 70, retiredand conduct Digital Camera Workshops on cruise ships around the world. I also do training for N, C, and K and in general just have fun doing what I like best.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:43 PM   #29

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
Got my first Spottie to take pictures of my soon to be born daughter in 1967. They're both still going strong. (She uses an Optio 550.)

Looking at what I have, I guess it's been a new body every 10 years or so. Followed the SP with a KX, later an MX, then a SuperProgram, a Z-1 and most recently an *istD. All of these also work.

It's nice to see that the original lenses for the SP work the same way (other than the 1.5 multiplier) on all the others. Of course, none of the later ones is truly better than the original. Just more bells and whistles.

Larry in Dallas
hey larry,
i'm in dallas also. maybe we could get together sometime..

roy
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:23 PM   #30

MT - what a wonderful way to be retired - travel on cruise ships and take pictures. You have suddenly become my idol!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote