Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:34 PM   #51

bump
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:41 PM   #52

Hey all....I'm 23.

I first got interested in photography one day by messing around with the digital macro feature on my Canon Powershot...and I was pretty pleased with the photos that came out.

I started researching 'nicer' cameras on the internet, then discovered a whole new world known as the dSLR.

A couple hundred $$$ later, the DL was my first SLR.
hsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:16 PM   #53

I've used an old russian rangefinder for a while, the shutter didn't work properly so I was adjusting exposure only by apreture and most of my pictures were ok (film was very forgiving). then I went to cann a70 about 3 years ago. passed it to my father when I bought Panasonic FZ 10 couple years ago, and recently got myself DL2. looking to buy some old lenses now. I'll be 28 in august
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:20 PM   #54

gfrum-

Welcome to the Pentax Forum. You will find it to be a friendly place.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:14 PM   #55

Hi Guys!

I am 36. When I was younger, I used to paint and draw. I love art. One night, my mom found a camera on a taxi and brought it home. It was one of those 110 cameras with a little telephoto switch. So that got me into "a little" into photography. I am also an hobbyist astronomer and I love to read encyclopedias - I think I've either read or glanced the whole set twice especially geographical encyclopedias.

Anyway, at one point, I've noticed that my girlfriend (who later became my wife) has an SLR, Minolta, just lying around and not being used. So I asked her to ask her parents to let me borrow the SLR. It was great but I was learning. Later through the mirror got stuck. So that was the end of my SLR experience.

Later on though, my wife got a job with Pentax Philippines - thanks to me. They were the first engineers from Pentax Philippines and they had their training in Japan. When she came back, she brought with her a P&S camera - can't remember the model - but it was Pentax's high end "all auto" P&S. I think this was around '92 and '93.

About 3 years ago, I then first started with Sony's 2MP digital cameras. Then I was hooked on Canon and basically compared that with Sony which was a very bad comparison of an Apple and an Orange. I also got the S2 IS early December of 2005 and like it. Macro was good but the zoom was a tad slow. But what I really wanted was an SLR. So when they had a sale on PENTAX DL, I dived in and that was end of December 2005. I weighed between Pentax, Canon, and Nikon (Olympus was out because it took too long for their "auto-cleaning" feature to start the unit). Pentax won because of price, LCD screen, where it is assembled (being patriotic), simplicity, Lens availability and price and the comfortable handling. I'd like to keep it simple and spend the rest of the money in learning and getting the needed equipments/accessories. I have my S2 IS as my backup.

So far, I have been very satisfied with my purchase, my Pentax, my precious. It has given me great pictures (with lots of pratice) and friends are amazed with the quality of pictures it takes.

I am a geek and my wife was an engineer. Though she's not really into photography but she sees a good picture - and she praises mine. Biased? Don't think so.

mjtaburada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:07 PM   #56

mjtaburada
welcome to the forum. astronomical shots?????

roy
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:15 PM   #57

mjta...-

A hearty welcome to our friendly Pentax Forum.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:34 PM   #58

Lots of baby boomers here. I'm 52 going on 12 :G - at least that's what my friends tell me. Looking forward to Freedom 85. If I keep blowing money on lenses and cameras, I will be working till that age.........cheers......Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:23 PM   #59

I am 35. istD is my 1st SLR, got it early this year.

I did quite bit research before I decided go for Pentax. My experiences with it been great so far.
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:58 AM   #60

I don't think that owning a camera P&S or dSRL is necessary an age thing.

I've done the 35mm thing with a Pentax K2 (that probably shows my age) which was damn good camera with manual everything apart from metering on shutter priority (no multi metering modes in those days).

A Pentax MV1 was added to the kit for my wife to use.

Tried APS fo convenience & size - fun to use especially panoramic prints.

When digital became relatively affordable I bought a Fuji 4900 (2 Meg) and upgraded to the Fuji S602.

My current camera is the Pentax *istDS which was bought after a number of disasters with so called up market Prosumer cameras (Minolta A200 - Nikon 8800) and chose the *ist DS on weight, size & functionality - it was much more expensive that the Canon 300 (Rebel 350 not then available nor the Nikon D50) which despite all the hype was just too bulky & a 'crap' manual focus over-ride.

As far as I'm concerned the *istDS is great - JPEG quality could be better but then what's been left out can be corrected for & not the other way around.

Oh, and as for the age issue- I probably wont see another 60th birthday again but then who cares!!
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote