Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:55 AM   #61

Catbells-

Age does not have to be a defining element. I freely admit that I am 71 and still enjoying every minute with my cameras. I am still actively lecturing around the world on cruise ships. And as my husband and I say: "As long as it is fun, we will continue, when it is no longer fun, we will stop."

Well, we are still having a whole lot of fun, but we are running out of new and interesting cruise destinations, after 530 cruises and 4 books.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:33 AM   #62

WOW ... I've been overwelmed by the responses to this simple topic that I startedsome time ago. I've loved reading everyone's experiences and by the traffic that the topic has generated I guess others have too :-)

At one point someone suggested that some analysis might be useful, so here goes a simple compilation.

46 people posted ages ... the range is from 17 to 71 and about 70% (32 of 46) of us are over 40.

distribution of ages was:

<20 ... 3 people

20-29 ... 6 people

30-39 ... 5 people

40-49 ... 9 people

50-59 ... 17 people

>60 ... 6 people

This may be the first time I've been in the majority of anything ... I'm one of the 17!

Thanks to everyone for making this so much fun ...

Cheers, Mike

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:03 AM   #63

I am 53...for many years I was a Minolta man, going from X700 to 7000i to 500si (I may be wrong on the series numbers, but I went from all manual to autofocus to autofocus/panoramic/auto film advance)...my Dad was a Minolta man, altho he also had Rolleiflex and Beseler/Topcon...

When my younger brother bought a 1-2 MP camera back in 2000 (he had kids) and paid $1,000 for a swivel Nikon, I thought digital was the way to go, but I would wait until the MP went up and the price came down...

Finally, in April 2005 I bought an Olympus C770 as my first digital for $250, and then upgraded about 6 months ago to a Pentax DS, came with 18-55 lens, and I just bought a 28-300 Tamron lens...

Bob
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:29 PM   #64

Welcome on board, Bob-

A lot of us from the ultra long Fuji S-900 thread last winter here, including IRA and myself.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:37 PM   #65

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Welcome on board, Bob-

A lot of us from the ultra long Fuji S-900 thread last winter here, including IRA and myself.

MT/Sarah
i never was in that thread but that's the forum i started in with my s7000. now relegated to backup cam. still a great cam tho it can not compare.

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:25 PM   #66

Thanks mt/climber...didn't you have a different username back then???...and if you are the sarah I am thinking of, you were very helpful answering my stupid questions back then...

While the Fuji was impressive at the time, I finally decided a dSLR was the way to go, and when I compared the viewfinders of the Nikon, Canon and Pentax, it took about two seconds to go Pentax...the others were like looking down a narrow tunnel, IMO...

Bob

marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:28 PM   #67

Mi Bob-

Yes, I am indeed that Sarah. It nice to have you on the very friendly Pentax Forum.

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:40 PM   #68

I did not see this thread so I am going to respond.

I am 45 but stuck on 16 forever. My Mom had a Brownie and Dad had a Kodak instamatic that used 126 film for slides. Every year we watched the dreaded slide show withthe Kodak Carousel.

Hebought the Canon AE-1 when I was 16 but was not allowed to touch it. I soon lost any interest inphotography altogether.I finally bought my first camera which was a Minolta 110 with telephoto. Thought that was the cats meow and then got the Minolta Disc camera. That did not last too long and I am not sure if anyone even remembers orheard of the Disc camera.

Then, I just startedusing a Vivitar 110 for a good long while and then just nothing for about 6 years after it died. Finally (2003), I got bored enough on one of my work training trips that I just went into a store (Sears) and saw that they marked down a Panasonic Leica (Summicrom) lens digital camera for 50% off. Bought it and just had a ball with it. I went on to the Panasonic FZ1 which was found to not have an IR blocker put in so Infrared Photography became my new interest. I went to the FZ10 and then FZ20.

I bought my Pentax ist DS due to this forum being the nicest for DSLR users and that I have seen that brand in Hawai'i everywhere when I was growing up there. I enjoy the DS tremendously and the size and weight and the great optics just became a very easy decision to buy.

I have learned alot reading on this forum and going to the local camera shops and talking to some seasoned pros that work there.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:35 PM   #69

Mgedit, put another tick beside the 60+ category, as I am now in my 61st year. I currently have a DS, having switched from an MZ5N in May last year, principally to make my telephoto lens 1.5x longer at a fraction of the price of new glass. Since then I have averaged 5-600 pictures per month, and am having to learn to keep only those worth keeping (often only one or two a month!). I have been taking pictures since I was about 15, initially with a Zeiss Ikon and then my introduction to Pentax was the little 110 SLR whose model number I cannot recall.

AK

Attached Images

AK Carlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:12 PM   #70

fabulous shot AK!!!
looking for more from you.

roy