Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1

Since I first got my DL and read in the manual that the camera had an infra-red remote sensor I've always wanted to try to use my Universal Remote control to release the shutter. The only thing I didn't want to do was punch in hundreds of codes to find the right one to release the shutter. I told a friend about the possibilities of this remote and the dilemma of the codes. So we did a quick search on RemoteCentral and found the hex codes for Pentax cameras. He downloaded the hex codes to his Philips Chad remote and setup a button to use with Pentax. We tested it on my DL and it worked! The next step was for my remote to "learn" the code. He aimed his remote at mine and it learned the signal. But something great happened while mine was learning the signal, the shutter released again. I thought this unusal because we were behind the camera, not in front where the sensor is. When I got home from work I tried it out again aiming the remote at the back of the camera. I tried it at various distances up to 15 feet (appx. 5 meters) and it fired each time! I would have tried longer distances but I was indoors and as usual it was raining here. This is fantastic that I can trigger the shutter from a good distance behind the camera. I also set the function in the custom menu to turn onAF while using remote control. Now all I need is a lens with more reach so I can get some bird shots while relaxing on my deck. :-)
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

I suspect that what was happening was that the remote's IR beam was bouncing off a wall or some other object and then into the front of the camera. You can do this with many TV, DVD, etc. remotes-- especially when the batteries are new.
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3

Ron C wrote:
Quote:
I suspect that what was happening was that the remote's IR beam was bouncing off a wall or some other object and then into the front of the camera. You can do this with many TV, DVD, etc. remotes-- especially when the batteries are new.
You bring up a good point. So I just brought it outside and set the camera down. Since it's pitch black I set the camera to Bulb. I shot about 10 shots from behind the camera from about three feet. The shutter didn't hold for the bulb setting from the front or rear. But I was able to trigger it from behind. If it wasn't so dark and buggy I would stay out there and try longer disances. The skeeters are deadly with the weather we've been having. :-)

PS: The batteries are at least a month old.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote