Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:09 PM   #1

A friend of mine just got a *istDL, and under our first impressiones, there are a few issues I personally don't like:

1. The autofocus feels kind of slow; maybe just a little faster than on my Canon S2 IS but really much slower than on a film Pentax SLR.
2. The camera doesn't work with 2GB cards.
3. I feel the camera doesn't always get a nice exposure on auto or P mode, I feel like exposure has always to be adjusted.

So, I found that Pentax has firmware upgrades for the *istDS and the *istD, and they address focusing issues and memory card issues. Does anyone have had experiences with this camera and the issues I am listing?

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:14 PM   #2
TDN

The firmware update for the DS should already be in the DL...

The autofocus is a little slow sometimes yes, Ive noticed this myself too.
Mainly because its only 3-point AF i guess...

Dont know about the other 2 questions...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:27 PM   #3

Steve's review of the DL says that it supports an SD card up to 2GB.
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:36 PM   #4

About the memory card, I've seen it too, I will try other cards, but at least my Canon S2 IS reads these cards and the Pentax is not liking the 2GB card, but it works with slower / smaller cards of the same brand. I will try out with other cards to see what's wrong.

About the firmware, the camera reports 1.0, can you tell me if you all have the same version? To check it, turn on the camera pressing menu.

Regards
Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:19 PM   #5

Oh... that 2GB card problem seems odd. Sorry I couldn't offer more advice on that.
TravisG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:09 PM   #6

I have the DL and use a 2 gig card regularly. Have you tried formatting the card in the camera? I've not had any problems using this high speed (133X) card.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7

mgedit wrote:
Quote:
I have the DL and use a 2 gig card regularly. Have you tried formatting the card in the camera? I've not had any problems using this high speed (133X) card.

Cheers, Mike
ditto
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:47 AM   #8

It is weird, I'll keep trying out. Can you tell me your firmware versions? I'm assuming everyone should have 1.0, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:18 AM   #9

schmiedel wrote:
Quote:
A friend of mine just got a *istDL, and under our first impressiones, there are a few issues I personally don't like:

1. The autofocus feels kind of slow; maybe just a little faster than on my Canon S2 IS but really much slower than on a film Pentax SLR.
The AF will be faster when *any* Lithium batteries are put into the camera, including rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ions.

Quote:
2. The camera doesn't work with 2GB cards.
The *ist DS support 2G officially after firmware upgrade to the later versions. I just wonder why the DL cannot.

Quote:
3. I feel the camera doesn't always get a nice exposure on auto or P mode, I feel like exposure has always to be adjusted.
Firmware upgrade won't help. I had a *ist D before and upgraded the firmware to the final version - no luck. Then I replace my *ist D with a DS, it has better color accuracy which is independent of exposure (unlike the D) but its metering is still no good and digital lenses on any of my five Pentax DSLRs used are the worst. For your info, I have had two Pentax DA lenses, one DFA lens and a FAJ *ist D kit lens.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:39 PM   #10

Just a caution here ... rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ions are NOT recommended for the DL (see owner's manual). I think there are now some voltage stabalized versions, but I don't thing regular rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ions are a good idea unless you are certain of their output.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote