Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:16 AM   #1

With the help of this forum I have discoverd my two week old DL has Dirt on the sensor. It happned before I knew to be careful. Opinons - should I return it to curcuit City (two week return) for a new one, or just keep it and clean it.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:02 AM   #2

clean it. i use a turkey baster to blow mine out. when it get's bad i use the sensor swab and eclipse solution from here
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/mainframe2.aspx
for instructions visit here
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

there's really nothing to it.
roy
eventually, you are going to have to have it cleaned, no matter what. that's just how it is..
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

they wont take it back as a dusty sensor is a common issue with digital SLR's

get a rocket blower, and blow it out - if it that doesnt fix it, and its still in warranty period it would be a good idea to get an authorized agent to clean it for you
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:11 AM   #4

errno,
i did that the first time as my sensor needed it from the day i bought it. with the cleaning kit i got, it's really easy. i find mounting the cam on a tripod helps a lot..

roy
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:21 AM   #5

Cleaning the sensor is part of routine maintenance on a DSLR. It may be because I shoot a lot of motorsport and regularly change lenses, I mainly use primes, but a dusty sensor is a common occurrence.

I follow the same regime as Roy, except I use a photographic hand blower as the cook does not have turkey baster. This usualy is enough to remove the dust.

In the year I have had the camera I have twice had to use the Eclipse solutin and special applicator swabs to get rid of stubborn dust a gentle blow could not shift.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:44 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Roy,these are great links..very handy. While I did not start this thread, I'm glad I browsed! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:46 AM   #7

I'llclean it thanks
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:48 AM   #8

I agree, i also clean my own sensor myself, however if he cleans it himself and a problem occurs with the camera down the track and pentax can deem that the internals have been played with like that they may void his warranty.

It is expensive to get cleaned and usually means you will be without the body for 4-6 weeks and no guarantee it will come back spotless. Bit of a double edged sword.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:14 PM   #9

sent mine back to pentax the first time. mailed it friday, had it back thursday.. not saying it would be like that for you..

Roy,these are great links..very handy. While I did not start this thread, I'm glad I browsed! Jay

this is what's great about these forums..

roy