Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:17 PM   #1

So I've had the DL for a month now. Hate the Pentax Photo Lab software. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it seems like it is so slow, never opens up the same way and I'm still unclear if auto is even doing anything.

So I downloded RSE and RSP and Bibble and Silkypix and compared to Pentax Photo.

This quick review is based on only 1 shot. I'm sure portraits will be much different from what I read so take it with a grain of salt:

I don't know how to do shots to show you what I did but I had a partially overexposed sky, green grass, white car, people in the distance in shadows....a fairly hard image to get right.

The best for crystal clear photos with no added sharpening?

RSE/RSP.

It is amazing how clear the images come out zooming in beyond 100% and details are amazing. Plus, I notice some red green blue bands on high exposed areas of a white picket fence in my RAW image. RSE/RSP so far is the ONLY software that gets rid of them immediatly. They are visible and nasty at 100% crops on all the other software including Pentax. Don't know if it effects printing or not.

Amazingly easy to use software and a great browser. I really like it a lot.

Problem? Blue sky isn't the bluest, in the green grass there are yellow dandelions. I can't make them come out in the picture. They are clearly visible on all the other programs.

My very quick conclusion is that it doesn't handle color very well BUT..I haven't tried the demo of the color engine for Pentax. Only a 5 day trial so I need to be sure I have the time to fiddle with it.

If that color engine worked....for sharp images, fast fast fast and easy to browse the nod would go to RSE/RSP.

RSE is still free right now.

Too bad Adobe killed it.

Bibble:

Perfectly Clear while works well seems to add(on the screen anyway) lots of black dots on 100% zooms. Maybe too much sharpening too much contrast..don't know and again don't know how it will print. Auto mode works well. It actually BOOSTS the brightness of the image. Fantastic on backlit scenes but really bad on my landscape test scene. RSE/RSP in auto actually brings everything down on both. Good on landscape, bad on backlight.

Highlight recovery tool and vibrance? work well though.

The jpeg I made from this was by far the worst quality as far as clarity of the image(assuming I properly put quality at 100). color was excellent though. Ease of use of the software is ok and it does have noise reduction and some lens correction tools.

I need to play around with it but so far it is the weakest in overall quality of the image even during editing of the programs.

Bogs down the computer when running. Slower than the Pentax.

RSE/RSP for all it's power is blazingly fast.

Pentax: I don't understand if auto is really doing anything. I assume it automatically exposes the image as soon as you load the image. But if it IS working then one click processing and saving is a no brainer for ease of use.

Silkypiks:

Color and image quality is almost exaclty the same as Pentax...jhmmmm...is Pentax using their software now even in version 2.1? Almost seems like it.

While not a great program..I don't know if it does batch or not, it looks like the next step up from the Pentax program really with lots of buried tools in menus.

But, with choices like: no contrast, just a little contrast, average contrast, above average contrast, strong contrast, harsh contrast...it makes looking at the image and choosing from a pulldown menu very very easy. You can also do everything manual.

So for fast single image processing the nod is Pentax followed by Silkypix with no brainer tools to get a good image and more advance tools buried in the menus. Silky is not as user friendly because of pull down menus and shortcut keys vs buttons.

Image quality in jpegs and tiffs with razor sharp clear images even with sharpening at zero goes to RSE/RSP hands down. Followed by Silkypiks, then Pentax then Bibble.

So for me...I want to play around with RSE/RSP because the image quality is that good. BUT..if I can't get the colors right easily it could be an issue. Plus with no support anymore..well a very short term investment.

Bibble needs more playing around but so far, not good. Silky does very nice images but is clunky.

That's my initial take after a day of trying the programs.

corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2

Here's the Bibble at 100. Colors are right but image is just fuzzy. You can see the fringing on the white chairs. Closer you see the rgb bands remaining from the RAW.

Dandelions are clear though so that is a plus.
Attached Images

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:33 PM   #3

Here is the RSP 100% crop. The image is very sharp and no real fringing like the other 3 other software conversions.

But the color isn't right and I couldn't figure out how to see the dandilions.

Maybe more post editing in Photoshop or more advanced knowledge of the software would help. But if the other 3 programs in auto mode show dandelion yellow why not RSP?
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:27 AM   #4

you seem to have raised a lot of issues covairfan, most that I know nothing about.

I have used teh Pentax Photi lab to do my RAW converting very happily in the year I have been using my DS.

The one thing I did notice after reading your post is that I allways use the custom processing option rather than the auto. I can offer no good reason for this. It has always seemed to work well for me and occasionally I will tweak the color temperature but that ia about all.

My main task is to convert to tiff or jpeg for further processing.

I does open consistently for me anf teh processin speed is similar to the other applications I use.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:24 AM   #5

I get much better colors from RSP by using some radical contract adjustments first. Specifically 1.34 midtone adjustment coupled with +/- 12 contract reducing curve and lowering highlight/shadow contrast. Try my adjustment files at the below link if you like. Takes about 2-3 sec to figure out which contrast reducing curve to use.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerpz9y/rawshooterfiles/

Add little vibrance or saturation to bring the colors out. Maybe reducing the amount of shadow/highlight contrast reduction if needed.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:25 AM   #6

Forgot one important point - you'll probably have to increase the exposure as well. RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:26 PM   #7

Corvairfan

Have you Complteted your testing and what did you deciede.

THX

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:47 PM   #8

I found out partly why RSE/RSP has sharper images. Buried in preferences is the profile for the DL. It turns on sharpening and detail even when sliders are at 0.

Still, in my shots above the Bibble still doesn't look as good as Pixmantecs even with sharpening and chromatic abberation???accounted for.

So basically, my conclusion now is that Silkypix gives the fastest, nicest and easiest to make images. But the interface is still clunky as far as loading, viewing, saving pictures.

Some photos Bibble does well on, some it doesn't. Defaults out of the box makes Bibble a memory hog and slows down my computer. I don't know why.

RSP has a great download and view and rotate and rank all those downloaded RAWS from the camera. So if I had to use one program for the whole process I think I would take RSP for that.

So, I don't know what I will buy at this point. But for Pentax's I think image quality and quick and easy image adjustments...the nod goes to Silky.

For speed any kind of more than 1 photo at a time and automatic CA adjustment: RSP.

Bibble is inbetween the two but I still think it produces the worst photos of the 3 in some ways though the color accuracy is better than RSP.

Clear as mud? Hey they are all free to try.

My coworker who shoots weddings LOVES Capture One. He says he always gets prints to look exactly like he sees on the screen. Though it is very expensive and he did like the interface of RSP a lot though. I guess I'll try CO at least for comparison.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:21 PM   #9

Thnks for the reply. I am doing my own Testing right now. Comparing RSP(Which I bought & Color Engine) and Silky Pix. My experiance parillels yours.
PSp has color issues, but i love the work Flow. Silky Pix has better Color , but i really dont like the interface.
Just got PSCS2 so i will Give ACR Another Go. I already have ACR with PSE4, so It will Most likely be very Similar. When i tryed ACR in PSE4, it was ok, I just liked the work Flow in RSP better.
In the mean time I will stick with RSP.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:07 PM   #10

I have used Bibble for a number of months now, but wasn't completely happy.

Took the plunge and got RSP, and the more I use it, the more I feel it is a superior program, with lots of great features, and consistently better output. On the odd occasion, Bibble does well with a certain photo, but after comparison testing of my own, RSP is clearly the winner. It's delete, prioritizing, cropping and rotational features, as well as batch renaming, are certainly welcome additions.

I also found it to be faster, with Bibble often being very slow at final JPEG processing.

At this stage, I am very happy with RSP. Here is an example of a recent shot which RSP really made shine.
Attached Images

nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote