Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:05 AM   #1

Hey everybody!

I'm in a dilema... I absolutely love Pentax cameras and am looking to buy a DSLR. I can't decide between these three cameras, each with its own pros and cons:

1. *ist DL - I can buy this now, for about $500. I'm worried it will become outdated soon as there are new ones coming in the near future, but i can buy this one instantly and for a good price too.

2. K100D - There is the added Shake-Reduction feature which is nice, but I will have to wait about a month and a bit and will cost about $700.

3. Pentax has annouced a 10 MP DSLR currently in development, which is planned for release during FALL 2006 in the sub-$1000 range. It is slightly more expensive than the other choices, but has substantially more MPs and will be up-to-date. I don't want to have to wait until Fall though...

So what are your thoughts - go for the instant gratification (*ist DL), shake reduction (K100D), or be VERY patient to wait for the top-of-the-line 10MP?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
itswesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:49 AM   #2

Personally I would go with the DL (I have the DL2).

1) Photography is about taking pictures - the sooner the camera, the sooner the pictures.

2) Anti-shake sounds good, would seem to work ok, BUT it isa big drain on the batteries, which is why you can switch it on and off, and to be honest, camera shake these days only happens if you use too big a lens handheld. Shutters speeds are now fast enough to cope with most lenses. (my old Zenit had a top speed of 1/500 sec!)

3) Would you need 10Mp? I have pictures on my wall taken with a 3.2Mp compact camera, cropped and blown up to A4 and they are very sharp. 6-8Mp is fine for anything up poster-size.

4) As for being out of date, as soon as it comes out and you buy it, it is out of date, unless you are spending thousands on a top end pro camera. If you check with most of the forum, you will find that as soon as they get their new camera, they buy old manual lenses and turn their cameras back to a K1000/ME Super.

Anyhow that's my thoughts - buy the DL and have fun with it.

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:40 AM   #3
TDN

Well, If you read some of these topics on this forum, it seems like you're getting a 100$ rebate with the DL now. So that would give you and excellent camera for (an excellent) 400 bucks.

I wouldn't hesitate...

Just do some research about that rebate first. I think someone on here sent an email to pentax and is waiting for reply...

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:46 AM   #4

I'm another one that would vote for getting the DL now. I had an FZ30 for a month and wasn't impressed with its IS - it didn't help me compensate for too long a shutter speed with the long lens for me to feel comfortable with the camera.

As far as being out of date - the whole purpose of a camera is to take pictures. I had been happilyusing a three year old Sony F717 up until December when I decided that the couple of the problems it had developed were getting to be too annoying. I replaced it with the Panasonic FZ30 and taking comparison photos (the viewfinder on the Sony was still useable for framing but not much else). The 5mpSony's pictures were better than the 8 mp Panasonic!

I have no immediate plans on replacing my DS. If it were to quit working for some reason in about a year I'd probably look at the K100D first before the 10mp camera, unless the reviews showed that the 10mp camera had exceptional quality. There is more to great pictures than megapixels.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:33 PM   #5

Looks like the $100 rebate is real http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/s....pad.L1018.pdf Considering that you can get a DL for as low as $450 with the kit lens, It's worth it to get the DL now and later buy one of the others and keep the DL as a second digital body. I've already bought the DL, now I'm trying to decide whether to jump on the K100D a couple of months after it comes out or wait for the 10 MP with Shake reduction.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:42 AM   #6
TDN

jhacker wrote:
Quote:
Looks like the $100 rebate is real� �� �� �� �� �http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/s....pad.L1018.pdf � �� �� �Considering that you can get a DL for as low as $450 with the kit lens, It's worth it to get the DL now and later buy one of the others and keep the DL as a second digital body.� �I've already bought the DL, now I'm trying to decide whether to jump on the K100D a couple of months after it comes out or wait for the 10 MP with Shake reduction.
Same here, I have the feeling I'm covered with the DL for a LONG time now

The only upgrade I'd consider is antishake, AF-assist lamp AND a self-cleaning sensor.
So far no camera has all 3 of these features, so the DL is a keeper
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:30 AM   #7

DL pros: cheap and available now!

DL cons: 3 point AF, lack of indicator for the chosen AF, don't support larger than 1GB SD card (no guarantee), outdated bundled RAW convertor (Pentax Photo Lab 2), no scene mode, no digital preview.

K100 pros: new SR feature, scene modes, digital preview, will ship in late July
K100 cons: $200 dearer for what you get additionally.

K10D cons: likely to be expensive and don't wait for something you don't know what it will be and don't know when it will come!

My advice is to find a DL2 which is essentially a K110D which is smaller in size and it damn cheap now and its availability should be still good.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:40 PM   #8

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
DL cons: 3 point AF, lack of indicator for the chosen AF, don't support larger than 1GB SD card (no guarantee), outdated bundled RAW convertor (Pentax Photo Lab 2), no scene mode, no digital preview.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
3 point autofocus is not really a con. It is probably easier to use than searching round the viewfinder for the focus point.

no indicator for the chosen AF - Highlighted in red.

Not larger than 1Gb cards - takes up to 2GB cards, but 1GB cards are easy to find, cheap to buy and spread your shots if anything goes wrong. (Currently got 3x1Gb cards, 1x512Mb and 1x256MB. Will be buying a further 4 of 6 1 GB in the near future. £12 per card.)

Outdated bundled software - so is most of the software bundled these days. Plus it gives a starting point for RAW conversion before spending money on anything technical - some on this forum use Lab all the time.

no scene mode - apart from the 5 directly selected on the dial of course.

no digital preview - agreed, this is on the DL2 (bit of a waste though. this being digital, take the pic then delete if wrong)

Buy a DL2 - agreed!!! It is what I have!

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote