Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:14 AM   #1

I have bought a ist* DL 2 weeks ago. I already owned a AF500FTZ Flash and a 28-200 Lans. When i tried out the flash, it caused the images to turn almost completely white. I wasimpossible to see anything. When i called the Pentax dealer they said style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"they did not know anything about it and could't explain it but they would as Pentax itself. When they called me back they referred that Pentax said the problem was that the AF500FTZ was built to be used with 35mm wich had no reflection on the film. When it was used in a digital it caused reflection on the sensor causing the image to turn almost completely white. They also said the solution was to buy a new generation flash wich was already built to use with a digital camera.

I asked if others have the same problem or am i being fooled.

I am very angry because when i bought the camera the offical Pentax dealer told it was perfectly compatible with the flash and the lens.

Thanks
illidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:25 AM   #2

I have an older Sigma EF-430ST and have encountered similar problems with my DS.

I have set the flash exposure compensation to compensate for the overexposure.

This is even though the camera and flash are supposed to be in a Through The Lens (TTL) mode.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:37 AM   #3

is the AF500FTZ P-TTL? If its not p-ttl it will not work with the DL
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:42 AM   #4

It's this one:

http://www.pentax.co.uk/product_deta...mp;parentid=23

But the official dealer said it would work perfectly.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:26 PM   #5

I have a Pentax DS and a Sigma EF-500DG flash. I too have had a problem with the pics being way, way, overexsposed. What I have found out is that I have to clean the contacts on the camera hot shoe, as well as thebottom of theflash unit, from timeto time. After the cleaning, the pics are just fine. I use an electrical contact cleaner that I found at an automotive parts store. The cleaneris made by CRC, it`s in a red spray can, and costsaround $5. It`s called "QD Electrical Contact Cleaner".The cleaneris quick drying, leaves no residue, and does not harm the finish on the camera or flash. I spray some of the cleaner on a clean cloth, NEVER directly on the camera or flash, and give the contacts a quick wipe. I think the contacts are so small, and with the slightest bit of stuff on the contacts, the circuitry in the camera and the flash can`t properly communicate with one another. Also, be sure that the flash unit is firmly seated to the camera. I have had the flash slip backslightly on the camera, which caused the flash to malfunction.

I hope this helps. JH
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:37 PM   #6

your problem is that the 500ftz is a TTL flash. TTL is not supported on the DL. i have a 400ftz and a DS and the combo works great on TTL, the DS supports TTL. the 500 will work on the DL if you use it as a MANUAL flash. you may need to do some reading on how to do it. any flash will work, you just have to know how to set it up. there are ways to set the flash up in a manual/auto mode where objects in a certain focus plane will be properly exposed.

roy
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:38 AM   #7

I believe that the problem is what robar said...

I've been reading the manual, to try to use the flash in a non TTL mode. the problem is that the flash only let's me choose the setting if the machine is in manual too. If i try in any other mode the flash returns to TTL mode imediatly... Now the problem is that when i turn the machine to normal i am not able to choose all setting by myself... I'm not that experient. I've heard that in manual mode the camera can still indicate the best aperture and shutter speed but i can't find the thread...

I still have to experiment the first solution, which was to work with the flash compensation... I forgot to experiment with that..

And i'm still furious because the dealer didn't said anything about TTL incompatibility or the DL not supporting TTL

Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:44 AM   #8

And one other thing could you explain me the difference between TTL and P-TTL?

At one of oficcial Pentax sites they the focusing system is TTL... Does it has anything to do or are the focusing and the flash system separate?

Sorry about the stupid questions but it's my first digital camera and i'm still learnig... With film cameras i alwys used auto mode...

I'm trying to expand my capabiliteis now... Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:17 PM   #9
RJM

Forgive the late add to the string but I just got my ist* DL recently and already own an AF-500FTZ that works great with my PZ-1. If I am reading all of this correctly, it is just not going to work, is that right? That would be a shame, it is a heck of a flash.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:37 PM   #10

I have two AF-500ftz flashes and they both work perfectly (one as a slave) on my DS, but that supports TTL, which is one reason I am keeping it along with my new K10D which does not support TTL only P-TTL.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote