Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:46 AM   #1

Hi all

First post here, and a question for you all:

What settings do you recommend to capture daytime lightning photographs? I'm using an *ist DL2

thanks for any advice!
matbro1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:39 AM   #2

matbro1984 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

First post here, and a question for you all:

What settings do you recommend to capture daytime lightning photographs? I'm using an *ist DL2

thanks for any advice!

Hmm, that's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. lol! Daytime lighting changes all the time so you will need to change your settings according to that alone.

Can you be a bit more specific? I am an *ist DL2 user myself and have taken loads and loads of lovely photos with it, however, I change my settings all the time in order to get that nice shot of whatever I am looking at.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:18 AM   #3

Thanks for your response!

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~doswell/ltgph.html
http://www.lightningphotography.com/tips.html
http://www.weather-photography.com/t...page=lightning

Further to my previous message I found the three pages above helpful. Unfortunately, no lightning to test the theories out with, yet!
matbro1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:35 AM   #4

yeah, that's a tough one. My experience has been go with minimum ISO and maximum F-stop to try to get as long an exposure as possible, but even then you only get about a half-second so there is a lot of luck involved. Using that strategy, I manager to get the shot below on film about three years ago. I also got very lucky with that one too.  I've only caught lightning with any daylight in the sky about five times in 20 years of shooting lightning.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It's ironic that you ask that now, because on Monday, I e-mailed Associated Press photographer Tom Hood to congratulate him on a great daylight lightning shot he took in Arizona over the weekend. You may have seen it, I think it was in USA TODAY and Yahoo news had it up at one time too. He shot it while covering wildfires in northern Arizona. If you use Google news and search fo Arizona lightning, you should see an image.  If someone can tell me how to change black text to white, I'll post his e-mail to me here telling how he got the shot, but his tactic was basically the same, ISO of 125, F-stop at 22 and exposures of about half-second and shoot a lot. He said the shot that was sento out over the wire was the only good one he got out of about 30 tries.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:34 PM   #5

I am SO SORRY, I misread your first message and read it as daytime LIGHTING not lighning. I am so so so so sorry.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:35 PM   #6

think i'd suggest a #8 neutral density filter. this will cut your exposure time by 8 stops.. in other words if you were shooting at iso200 f22 1sec.
you would lose 8 stops meaning you could shoot at iso200 f22 8sec.
it would be like shooting as night..

roy
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:46 PM   #7

I was really lucky once to catch daytime lightning. I tried multiple times and only wassuccessful once. This is a digital copy of a Fuji Slide from back in my film days.

I was aiming at this cloudbecause there was some lightning going on and got this one. Sometimes lightning happens twice within a split second. When I saw the first one I pushed the shutter release and caught the second strike. Never knew I had it until the slides came back from the lab.

Handheld with probably something like F8 and 1/60 sec. I have never been able to repeat a picture like this.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:17 PM   #8

will,

welcome to the board!! what setting did you change to get onboard here??

nice to see another fellow pentaxian..

roy

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:05 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
will,

welcome to the board!! what setting did you change to get onboard here??

nice to see another fellow pentaxian..

roy

Hi Roy.

I don't remember - some Cookie setting maybe. I registered a while ago, but didn't take the time to actually stop byto read or post.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote