Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:53 PM   #1

Hi there, Russell here from the UK.

I have just registered on this forum and I thought I would just introduce myself as I think I may be hanging around here quite a lot.

After about 4 years with an Olympus C50 Zoom compact digital camera I finally decided that I missed my old Canon film SLR too much and went out and bought myself an early birthday present from my wife. I now have a Pentax *ist DL2 which I shortlisted along with the Nikon D50. I don't think there was much between them performance wise so in the end it came down to which one I prefered and the price. I don't know what it was but the Pentax just "felt" better and all the controls seemed to be in the right place. On top of this, the Pentax was quite a bit cheaper than the Nikon so that sealed it.

I have to say that it is really nice to get back to some SLR photography. I have also just bought off ebay a Sigma 70-300 APO zoom lens (not the DG one) and am very pleased with that as well. I am now just trying to sort out what settings I shuld be using like AdobeRGB or sRGB etc and then getting the colour right for printing out on my Epson printer.

Anyway, sorry to waffle on, I'm just excited about my new camera and wanted to tell someone.

Regards

Russell
RussellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:50 PM   #2

russell,
welcome to the board!!!
me, i always shoot in raw and aRGB.
hopefully you did not spend more than 105usd delivered for the sigmaAPO as i have one of them FS..

roy
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:25 PM   #3

Welcome Russell

I shot what fits the ocassion. For just Snaphots i tend to Use JPEG highest Quality. And for shots that i enjoy taking i always Shoot RAW.
I believe, Thought i could be wrong that i use sRGB.

BK ( Phil)
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4

Welcome! Isn't it great fun re-discovering SLR photography?

Just my preference, but I almost always use raw. When I shoot jpg, there's usually a reason (like need to pass on something to someone) so I'll generally leave it on sRGB. I haven't noticed all that much difference between the two, since I use CS2 to manipulate pictures.

Now that you've introduced yourself, be sure to let us all know how you are doing with the camera and share your experiences with your lenses - I've learned SO much from everyone here about lenses and photography in general.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:10 AM   #5

Welcome Russell

Congratulations to two good choices, the right camera and the right forum. Looking forwards to seeing your pictures, there is a need to balance all the aussie surfing, Californian MacMansions and Texas snakes with some good pictures of European rain and dusk:lol:.

I always shoot RAW, since I would never forgive myself if I for once could take THAT picture which would just need a little tweaking... and then discover that the camera had been set to jpeg.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the nice welcome guys,

robar: I paid about £60 for the Sigma lens which works out at about $110 (USD).

Does anybody think that there is any truth in the fact that you should use a "digital" lens with DSLR camera's or is this just manufacturers trying to get you to re-purchase all your old lenses again. Just as a test, I borrowed my fathers old Makinon 70-210 manual focus lens that is about 15 years old (he used to have a Ricoh KR-10 which used the Pentax fitting) and I got really great results. That is what prompted me to get the Sigma 70-300 APO from ebay instead of getting the DG one which would have cost a lot more.

bilybianca: I know what you mean, who needs all that Californian sun and Aussie surfing when I have the English rain and drizzle to look forward to :-)

I've no doubt I'll be after lots of advice very soon so until then.....

Regards

Russell
RussellS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

my *ist DL arrives on monday! who could pass up $367 after that sweet $100 rebate? oh yeah, i'm a panny FZ30 defector...i knew its limitations going in, figured i'd wait a year or two for a dSLR...but...when i can sell the fz30 on ebay and get enough money (and then some) to buy the DL, i couldn't let that one pass through my fingers!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:06 PM   #8

RussellS wrote:
Quote:
I know what you mean, who needs all that Californian sun and Aussie surfing when I have the English rain and drizzle to look forward to :-)
I'd be willing to trade some of our Southern California sunshine for some of your rain and drizzle. I'm getting tired of having to check the highway patrol web site every afternoon to find out if the freeway I have to drive home has been closed due to brush fires. It's been a near thing several times in the past couple of weeks (sigh).

As far as old vs. new lenses - it really depends on the lens, I think, as well as the shooting conditions. I routinely use two manual lenses (a 50mm 1.4 and a 24mm 2.8 when I want either a fast lens, or something wide angle (the kit lens stays at home mostly). They do quite well. I also have a Kiron 80-200 lens that isn't bad (a bit soft for my tastes) that needs the lens hoodall the timeif you are outdoors - it suffers from lens flare more than the Pentax DA50-200, which I also have (and the Pentax is much sharper, too). So if you can pick up old lenses (especially top of the line ones) for not much money, get them and judge for yourself (or read lens reviews so you have a good idea of what you are getting).

milrodpxpx - just wait until you see the difference between pictures taken with the FZ30 and the DL - it's like a totally different world opening up. I couldn't believe how much better they were (well, yes I could because my 3 year old Sony F717 was better than the FZ30).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:32 PM   #9

Hi and welcome to the forum, everybody here is so friendly, you will love it.

I too have the *ist DL2 and am very pleased with it so far.

Hope to see some of your pics soon.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote