Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1

I have a Pentax *istDL and am having some trouble with a particular feature of the camera.

My test setup is with the SMC 18-50mm Pentax FA lens and a Sandisk 133x 1 GB SD card.

In normal conditions (Auto Picture mode, or Tv, Av mode) the camera works as it should and is able to write data to the SD card fairly quickly. I have also tried continuous shooting and the camera makes 5 pictures in rapid succession then i'm guessing processes the data through the imager, buffers it internally and then takes a few seconds to write it to the SD card and that seems to be well within the specifications of the DL.

The problem occurs when I try to take a picture in bulb mode, it somehow seems like for every second the shutter is kept open it takes almost twice as long to process (i.e. the film counter on the LCD keeps blinking for a long time, after it stops blinking it seems to take the usual 1-2 seconds to write to the SD card (the orange LED comes on))

- So for example, I had the camera in bulb mode and f/16 (problem is the same with any aperture), and manual focus.
- The shutter was open for 9 seconds, when the shutter was closed the camera took atleast 20 seconds to 'process' ( i.e. Film counter kept blinking).
- After 20 seconds the SD write LED came on for a second and it went off in 1-2 seconds.

This happens in both RAW and *** JPG (highest resolution), all other camera parameters are at a default values (whitebalance, filters, saturation, contrast etc).

Any idea what could be causing this problem or if this is a known bug.
Thanks,
K
kiritb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:12 PM   #2

This is not a bug it is a feature. (Can you tell I work with computers)

It is the noise reduction at work. When you take a 20 second picture the camera takes a second 20 second picture with no exposure so it can compare the first picture to the "black" frame and get rid of any noise cause by the sensor heating up.

This can be turned off.
PapaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3

Mmm - see what you mean. Never really use B setting. Just tried it and for a 10 Sec exposure the card light came on after 12 seconds and was finished writing after 18-20 seconds.

For 5 second exposure it was 3 seconds less.

Mind you, my cards are not flash ones with fast write speed, but cheap cards - 1Gb for £12.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4

noise reduction.. nice..
so would be neat if they could just keep a previously caliberated sample in memory and use that as a default template for comparison. Probably not the cleanest noise reduction but i'd say pretty darn good.

so basically if I had the default settings on and took a 4 hour startrails picture it would take 4 more hours before writing it!!

(and finally) which menu option is it to turn off NR?

thanks.
K
kiritb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:40 PM   #5

PapaMike wrote:
Quote:
It is the noise reduction at work. When you take a 20 second picture the camera takes a second 20 second picture with no exposure so it can compare the first picture to the "black" frame and get rid of any noise cause by the sensor heating up.
Thanks, PapaMike. I forgot that when I prepared for making pictures of fireworks on the 4th, so I was puzzled at the delay, too. Next year, I think that I will make a list and go back through the forums for a review. : )

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:54 AM   #6

i have a ds and wondered about the long delay in bulb mode with all the same settings as the OP. does this also apply to the ds and all pentak dslrs?
PapaMike wrote:
Quote:
This is not a bug it is a feature. (Can you tell I work with computers)

This can be turned off.
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 6:37 AM   #7

I've done some lightning and star trail photography with my DS, 20 minute exposures took about 14 minutes to process using the noise reduction.

I've learnt while the inbuilt noise reduction is great, It is much faster and convenient to just leave it off, then use a program like NeatImage or NoiseNinja to remove the noise in seconds with the same, or often better results.
brasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:30 AM   #8

I believe it applies to both DS's and Both DL's I do not know if it applies to the D.

According to the manual you access the noise reduction option via the C menu
PapaMike is offline   Reply With Quote