Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:35 PM   #1

I've noticed on several pictures (with really really white bright spots) that the LCD screen will flash black pixels in place of the whitest ones, alternating black to white ... a kind of a slow blink.

Is this normal? Should I try to adjust the display settings? Can I adjust the display settings?

philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:14 PM   #2

You've just discovered an option that you can turn off or leave on. I leave it on all the time - those black blinking areas are spots that are over-exposed (you've blown out the highlights). I often take pictures in high contrast situations and don't always figure out what the camera is metering on (and if that's what I want it to meter). That's a quick way to see if the exposure is right. Its also a nice check when I'm using manual lenses and forget to push the button to meter. Quick look after the shutter goes - ooops, do over!

There is a setting in the menus where this can be turned off if you don't want it (though I don't have my manual with me and can't remember where it is).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:56 PM   #3

i've been meaning to post a thread about this very topic. i keep mine on all the time also.

how about the rest of you???

roy
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:11 PM   #4

ah, well that's cool.

These were more sunset shots, so I'm not surprised at the highlight blowout. I also wouldn't have wanted to do anything about them in this case. However, it's good to know for cases where I will want to do something about it.

[align=center][/align]
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:56 PM   #5

You've hit on one of those times when overexposing one part of the picture is impossible to avoid, and still get what you want. I tried to capture the very red sun when the sky was filled with smoke (gives the sunset a really odd color), but I either blew out the sun or lost all the detail in the shadows - I couldn't get a middle ground and finally gave up. I'm sure there are those who would disagree - but my opinion is that there are times when asmall blown out highlight doesn't detract from a picture. OK - all of the technical photographers are welcome to tell me how wrong I am. It's probably the reason I'll never be more than someone who loves to take pictures, rather than a REAL photographer.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:48 PM   #6

Doesn't matter how technical you want to be - a REAL photographer IMO gets the photos he/she wants.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:53 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You've hit on one of those times when overexposing one part of the picture is impossible to avoid, and still get what you want. I tried to capture the very red sun when the sky was filled with smoke (gives the sunset a really odd color), but I either blew out the sun or lost all the detail in the shadows - I couldn't get a middle ground and finally gave up. I'm sure there are those who would disagree - but my opinion is that there are times when asmall blown out highlight doesn't detract from a picture. OK - all of the technical photographers are welcome to tell me how wrong I am. It's probably the reason I'll never be more than someone who loves to take pictures, rather than a REAL photographer.
actually, harriet, you could get all of the image. you have cs2 and all you need is a tripod and PSs HDR. i just got cs2 and just need some time to try this out. maybe manana..

roy
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:54 PM   #8

philmon wrote:
Quote:
ah, well that's cool.

These were more sunset shots, so I'm not surprised at the highlight blowout. I also wouldn't have wanted to do anything about them in this case. However, it's good to know for cases where I will want to do something about it.

[align=center][/align]
phil,
surely thats not a shark in the pic??

roy
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:22 PM   #9

Roy - what's HDR? My knowledge of CS2 is somewhat limited - I'm still doing many things the way I did when I had PS3, and keep saying I'm going to take the time to explore the rest of the program (but still haven't).
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:11 PM   #10

i have not used it yet but it srands for ''hight dynamic range''. what it does is combine images of the same shot taken at diff exp settings. say you have a shot with the cam on a tripod you take 5 pix, 2under exposed, the one the cam says to take, and two over exposed. cs2's HDR will combine the 5 so you get the detail of all shots. the highlights from the under exp to the shawdow detail from the over exposed.. i've seen some outstanding results from it's use. you can also use it to combine one raw image. i just need some time.. to explore..

roy